The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! I had a Precision 7750 that now I'm going to replace with a 7760. But I have one question regarding the OS and the processor.

I'm considering getting it configured with the Xeon W-11955M or the i9-11950H.
    Given the fact that I already have 128 GB of RAM that used to be on the 7750 (the Kingston HyperX RAM Impact 3200Mhz), and as it is non-ECC RAM, I was wondering what would be the real benefit from getting the Xeon one instead of the i9? Because there's a $128 USD difference between them :p

Also, for the ones who have the 7760/7560 with an 8 cores CPU, and got the equipment with windows, which version did you choose?
    Because there's an even bigger difference between the Windows Pro and the Windows Pro for Workstations (6 Core Plus) - of $153 USD.
    The sales rep told me that I HAD to buy the Windows Pro for Workstations (6 Core Plus) with either of the CPUs I'm interested in getting because that's the only version of Windows that actually supports the processor. Is that correct?

I remember reinstalling Windows on my Precision 7750 with an image downloaded from Microsoft, just the pro version, not the one for workstations, and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the comments and keep up the good work with this thread! It's great :-D

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No point to getting a Xeon over the i9 if you don't think you'll ever use ECC RAM. They perform the same.

As for "Pro for Workstations", no no no no, you don't need it. It's a cash grab from Microsoft; they require it for "workstation" CPUs as part of the OEM agreement, so you have to pay for it if you get the Xeon CPU. It does have some extra features, but most of them require hardware that would only be seen in desktop workstations. If you get "Pro for Workstations", then you can use ReFS. That's the only plus. (If you really want to use ReFS, you can use it with any version of Windows 10 anyway. You just have to take some extra steps to do the initial format of the volume.)

Asleep, alaskajoel and RockoDesvan like this.
  3. RockoDesvan

RockoDesvan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Aaron44126!

Thanks a lot for your help with my doubts. I really appreciate it!

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Furmark is an unrealistic and (according to some members of this forum) an unsafe workload; recommended not to use it, especially as a 'stress test'.

Next, the 35 W throttling is fixed by ThrottleStop, I mentioned it in the comment below:

5. hoxuantu

hoxuantu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When I ran Cinebench R23 multi-core, the CPU was not throttled, the stable power was 75W and the clock was 3.6 GHz for i7-11850H. The CPU power was limited to 35W only when I stressed both CPU and GPU.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Interesting. Maybe the throttling settings are different for different CPUs; I ran the Furmark CPU + GPU benchmark, and the CPU drew 65 W.

7. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, I know that this was asked already, but I can't find where.
    What are the pros/cons of running hybrid igpu and dgpu as opposed to only running the dgpu?

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Pros of hybrid graphics: great battery life (in theory), because the NVIDIA GPU uses ~7-10 W alone on idle.

Cons: you may not get said advertised battery life, and practically speaking there is a small (1-2ms) increase in latency, as the framebuffer is copied back and forth between the two GPUs.

Pros of discrete-only: Full colour support, easy control of multiple displays (because only one GPU is managing everything), VESA adaptive sync, integer scaling, all the cool stuff because your displays are directly addressed by a powerful GPU.

Cons: really lousy battery life.

Chin_Chan_Lee likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As @Ionising_Radiation mentioned, it basically comes down to battery life. If Optimus is working right (...which isn't always or even normally the case with these systems...), you'll get substantial power savings because the dGPU will be able to power off when it is not needed.

If you rarely use the system on battery power (or if you rarely use it for more than an hour or two at a stretch), there isn't much benefit and I'd recommend that you disable hybrid graphics.

Chin_Chan_Lee likes this.
  10. TetefBuu

TetefBuu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

What is the TGP for the RTX A3000 in the Precision 7560 ?