The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyone looked at 1080p vs. 4K? I think that most people have the 4K panel but @Ionising_Radiation has 1080p.

2. arandomuser

arandomuser Newbie

Reputations:
    I should add I have the 400 nit 1080p screen

3. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I manually set my screen to 60hz on battery. The power saving is small (around 2 watts)

win32asmguy likes this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So, interesting. Witcher 3 doesn't run on my new laptop. I've tried reinstalling it several times, to no avail.

5. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Doesn't run, how? it won't launch?

6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Yep; the little blue spinny circle comes on, the executable appears in Task Manager, and then nothing.

7. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had the same issue with two games, turns out it was because I had hybrid graphics on with dual monitors. I shut it off in BIOS and now all of my games work.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I tried that, and it still didn't really work. I'm not quite sure why. Witcher 3 is the only game with this issue; Witcher 2, RDR2, Halo, all work fine.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Undervolting works on the Precision 7560, and presumably all older Precisions on which this has been disabled. Some EFI variables need to be changed, and this is likely also possible, natively on Linux. Guide courtesy @unclewebb, developer of ThrottleStop.
    Cinebench R23 before and after undervolting by 60 mV (it's not much, but it appears Tiger Lake, or at least my CPU, is far more sensitive to undervolts—my Coffee Lake Xeon went as low as –140 mV):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worth trying on this and any past Precision models, even with the latest firmware versions. I am quite certain I will see further speedups when I install my 3200 MHz CL16 RAM, arriving a few weeks from now.

I just wish the fans weren't so reluctant to speed up so that the initial PL2 boost would stay at higher frequencies for longer. They're laptop fans, not GE90 turbofans...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    zhongze12345 and Aaron44126 like this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I think this is a sign that Intel is selling processors that are closer and closer to the edge of stability. There is not a lot of extra performance left on the table. Competition will do that.

Most 8th Gen could undervolt 125 mV, 9th Gen was more like 100 mV, 10th Gen about 75 mV and now 11th Gen is about 50 mV. Your CPU is probably really close to average for 11th Gen.

Can you post a FIVR screenshot that shows your undervolt? Include the main ThrottleStop window so everyone can see that undervolting and overclocking really do exist on the 11th Gen mobile CPUs. For comparison, the 11800H allows +4 bins of turbo boost (+400 MHz) as long as you can find a way to keep it cool.

When Cinebench testing, did you try undervolting the CPU core more than the CPU cache? It seems to reduce voltage when the CPU is using lots of AVX instructions. This trick works on a lot of CPUs. Maybe drop the cache to -50 mV and see if going higher only on the core is useful. Not sure if this still works on 11th Gen.