The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    3-15 seconds is kind of extreme. I haven't experienced anything like that.
    Download LatencyMon and run it while you are playing your game. It might point to the driver (.sys file) that is causing the system to lock up. That would give a possible next step to fix this.

It takes like 90 seconds of high load for the fans to ramp up really high on my system. I think that this is pretty normal behavior. Dell has changed how fan control works with this generation, and to my knowledge no one has figured out a manual fan control solution yet.

alaskajoel likes this.
  2. Matt*S.

Matt*S. Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you confirm what core temperatures you are seeing during normal operation? While doing general office work I routinely see max temperatures in the 70's, opening any Solidworks assembly pushes to 100°C. Rotating even a simple model leaves several cores at 100. My last machine (BoxX) was plagued with thermal issues, so it was one area that I wanted to pay special attention to.

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    About the same for me. Doesn't push much above 70 while I am going about my daily work, if I'm not doing anything extreme. However, a full load will bring the CPU to 100C very quickly. It's normal these days for a mobile CPU to run at 100C when operating at high turbo speeds under a heavy workload, they are designed to push the thermal envelope to the limit. I typically work with turbo boost disabled unless I'm running a CPU-intensive task (...but this is more to keep the fan noise level down than to keep the temperature down). As stated, I've seen that it takes around 90 seconds of high load to get the fans to kick up to max RPM, and during this time the CPU was indeed pushing 100C on multiple cores.

I can see how the slow fan ramp-up could be bothersome to some, but I actually really like this behavior. I don't like it when systems are super reactive and ramp up the fans unnecessarily, so I'm glad that they have taken a conservative approach with this one.

thock and alaskajoel like this.
  4. Matt*S.

Matt*S. Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree on the super reactive fans, I do however wish there was a baseline speed however rather than stopping the fan completely in at least ONE of the modes that are selectable. Not that I want to have a hair dryer on the desk, but usually there's a speed that is a nice balance of cooling vs noise and can be set manually.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Agreed here too, this is why I built "consistency mode" in Dell Fan Management — hopefully someone smarter than me will figure out how to get some form of manual fan control working on these new systems and then I can implement it into the app.

(However, the system never seems to shut down the fan in my Precision 7560. It's normally running at around 1200-1500 RPM, which is too quiet to hear.)

6. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it does not happen often... this weekend i played for 18hrs (total, haha) and it happened 3-4 times. frame rates are over 100. it's an old game from 2013 and my old 7510 with m2000m and same settings, never froze, even once... and my settings are same.. (i disable any special texture stuff)

i will, but i dont think it's that, because i don't hear fans or cpu rev up at all. what's the best app to run to confirm?

cpu-z or something else? TIA!

7. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen this error before?

Says it's something to do with my memory, but it happened about 2 minutes after windows restarted after doing an update - not sure if that could be relevant?
    upload_2021-8-31_23-18-18.png
    upload_2021-8-31_23-18-5.png
    upload_2021-8-31_23-18-49.png

I am running the memory diagnostics, but it will take a few hours it seems... (128 GB RAM)

Thanks

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The memory scan is unnecessary. The BIOS now automatically does this after a BSOD, whatever the cause (or so it seems).

This is an error that likely arose from a storage system driver. Is there anything unusual about the storage setup in your system? Do you have RAID mode enabled on your system in the BIOS? (This is the default setting.) If yes then I would suggest taking steps to switch to ACHI/NVMe mode, if this recurs.

If you're willing to share your minidump file (see C:\Windows\Minidump) then I might be able to provide some more information. You can zip it up and PM me.

thock likes this.
  9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity:
    was this a custom windows install or the default dell image?
    Are you running in RAID or AHCI?
    Was the update from windows update, a dell update or something else and do you know what it was?
    Do you have ECC memory?
    Have you run sfc/scannow?

10. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you. I have aborted the memory test.

The storage setup is pretty standard I think. The drive that came with the system from Dell (OS drive), and three other drives I've been using for 18 months or so (in my 7740 previously).

Whilst I was typing this reply I got the error again.

RAID was enabled in the BIOS, so I changed it to ACHI/NVMe mode but then the PC just keept returning to the BIOS password and wouldn't boot to Windows, so I have changed it back to RAID.

I have tried to send you minidumps but the PC is unusable- I get the BSOD within a minute or so of logging into Windows. I'm typing this rely on my phone.

I am trying to uninstall the previous Windows updates now.

This might be relevant - I have had some updates available for a while now from Dell Command but have ignored them. Maybe one of them was important for compatibility with the Windows update I did just before these BSODs started?

Many thanks again