The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I am using the installation that came with the PC from Dell.

I have RAID mode selected in the BIOS, but have not configured any RAID setup.

The update was from within Windows Updates section of the Settings.

The memory is not ECC.

I have not run scannow - should I? Although PC is not usable at the moment...

Thanks

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To switch to AHCI you have to take some steps.

* From the desktop, hold the "Shift" key while selecting the "Restart" option from the start menu.
    * At the menu that appears while Windows is shutting down, select "Advanced boot options" or some such.
    * At the Dell logo, hit F2 and switch to AHCI/NVMe in the BIOS.
    * Windows will present a menu at startup, pick Safe Mode.
    * After Safe Mode boots, reboot to normal mode.

I'll take a look at the minidumps in the morning...

jack574 likes this.
  3. jack574

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126 - I have sent you the minidump file in a "conversation" - thank you!

I have used the startup repair tool to uninstall the latest windows quality update. When I restarted the PC, it now says "Windows 10 Enterprise Edition" in the bottom right corner of the desktop, and all my shortcuts have disappeared from my "Quick Access" in Windows Explorer. I still get the BSOD.

I have again uninstalled the latest quality update, so will see if that fixes it (problems started after I did two simultaneous Windows updates)...

Could this be relevant?
    upload_2021-9-1_2-57-44.png

4. jack574

Reputations:
    Great, thank you!

5. jack574

Reputations:
    After the second attempt at uninstalling the latest quality update using the startup repair tool, I have now not seen the BSOD for 7 or 8 mins, so I am hopeful...

I have windows and Dell updates available now:
    upload_2021-9-1_3-6-48.png
    upload_2021-9-1_3-6-39.png

Which order should I do these in, and should I still switch to AHCI/NVMe mode (if so, before or after these updates)?

I guess I should wait for your analysis of the dump file @Aaron44126 before I do anything though.

Thanks again!

6. jack574

Reputations:
    Worked fine for half an hour or so, so I thought it was fixed, then the BSOD again.

I'm worried that if I try to do the Dell updates it will BSOD in the middle of an update and completely kill the PC....!

7. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just checked my updates and on windows I previously installed (8/28):

Intel Corporation - SCSIAdapter - 18.4.2.1002
    Intel Corporation - Extension - 18.4.2.1002
    Intel Corporation - SoftwareComponent - 18.4.2.1002

I also previously installed via command update

Dell.Alienware Digital Delivery 4.0.92.0 (although I do not use this)
    Intel Serial IO Drier 30.100.2104.1
    Intel Management Engine Components Installer 2123.15.0.2322

I might have installed the Dell Control Vault via Support Assist before I uninstalled Support Assist. The driver in Device Manager for Dell ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Touch Sensor is 5.7.20.25. I see in windows update this was installed on 7/23/21 as Dell - CVAULT 5.7.20.25

On the Dell Support Page I see this version listed 5.7.21.28 dated 7/22/21. This looks newer than I what I have but I am not present with an update with Command Update or windows update. Also, the version I have installed 5.7.20.25 is not listed in the Dell version history.

In Device Manager may Realtek driver is 6.0.9172.1. That is the current version listed on the Dell Download page.

Also, I am still in RAID mode. I did previously switch to AHCI ran int hat for a week but then switched back to RAID since I figured run in that for a while and see if I have any issues. I have a 2TB dell installed Gen 4 drive in the Gen 4 slot and no second drive.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    jack574 likes this.
  8. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. Really appreciate that.

I guess I should just update everything, but worried about a BSOD part way through the update process and bricking the system... is that possible?

Or maybe I should try to find a restore point from a while ago, restore, then do the Dell updates before any Windows updates. The startup repair process couldn't find any restore points, but i haven't looked myself in Windows yet.

Thanks again

9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you have windows restore turned on?

Mine was off and the support assist system repair was not creating any. I decided to uninstall support assist and turned on windows restore. Although I think you can have both on but there is an issue with the SA.

If you you did. It have windows restore on that is why you might not have restore points.

Is the memory new? Could it actually be a memory issue?

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's an update to the Intel Rapid Storage driver and it definitely could be relevant (especially given that the BSOD was pointing at a storage driver). If you switch to AHCI/NVMe, then the Intel Rapid Storage driver will not be used and if it is the cause of the issue, the issue will be gone.

But if removing the quality update fixed it, maybe not. Maybe you installed the optional "preview" quality update that was released recently? Hopefully the fix whatever problem this is before they release the next (mandatory) one on 9/14.

I'll have time to look at the minidumps in a couple of hours. We'll see if it reveals anything.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021