The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Have fun!

You should be able to keep the Dell install; there was hardly anything that could be classified as 'bloatware' when I got my Precision.

Maybe I should open the 7540/7740 Owners' Lounge.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I honestly think that you can get by without messing with DellFanCmd / manual fan control, I'm more throwing it out there as an option in case you do end up particularly dissatisfied with the "natural" fan behavior. I personally run it on my M6700, which has rather annoying stock fan behavior, but not on my 7530.

Precision systems ship with a minimum of bloat so it's not that bad to use the image that comes with the system. However, I personally always do my own Windows install from scratch, just to make sure that only what I want installed gets installed and nothing else. I would suggest that you do this only if you are comfortable with it and have done it with other systems in the past. You can just use the Windows 10 media creator tool from Microsoft to create a bootable USB drive of the latest version of Windows 10. Do note that the touchpad will not function until you install the Intel serial I/O driver so you will need an external mouse to get through the Windows 10 setup screens and initial driver installation. You can find all of the drivers that you need at the Dell support site, but really, nearly all of them will come down automatically via Windows Update once you get the system connected to the Internet. From Dell you will want to at least make sure to install the Intel serial I/O driver, the ControlVault software for the fingerprint reader, the Intel Thunderbolt drivers and firmware, and the latest BIOS image (I'm sure they will already have a new one ready when these machines start shipping).

You have a choice of putting the system in RAID or AHCI mode which you should decide before you start the Windows 10 install. If you choose RAID mode, you will need to provide the Intel Rapid Storage "F6" drivers to Windows 10 setup or it will not be able to see any of your drives. There is a "load drivers" option at the "which drive do you want to install Windows on?" screen.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This should be reserved for whoever actually gets one of these systems first :p

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Fair enough :)

I'm just hoping to catch the eye of someone with the 7540 and the RTX 3000.

Everyone on Reddit has eyes only for the 5540, and I quite understand why. However, it is, after all, a rebadged XPS, so what applies to the 7590 should apply to the 5540, and vice versa...

5. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @ Aaron, Ionising_Radiation, Thanks.

For the clean install, is not a problem to manage it. Maybe I'll first check the original one, then proceed only if something doesn't 'feel' as it should :)

Is there any different in performance between raid and ahci mode over nvme drives (single mode, obviusly)?

6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Negligible difference. RAID does not improve performance, even in striped mode, because the link to the CPU is stuck at 4 lanes of PCIe 3.0.

You might want to use AHCI mode if you're dual-booting; perhaps with Linux.

Hopper82 likes this.
  7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Drivers make a difference here. In RAID mode, you use the Intel RST drivers. In AHCI mode, you have a choice between stock Microsoft drivers or the Samsung NVMe drivers (downloadable from their site). I read a comparison a few years back which showed Intel and Samsung drivers performing about the same with Microsoft NVMe drivers lagging behind a good bit. Things might have changed, I imagine that Microsoft has done some work to improve the performance of their driver. Sometimes Samsung's drivers are a bit unstable (I think there was an issue for a while after Windows 10 1809 was released). I personally have been sticking with RAID mode and Intel RST drivers just because things seem solid with that configuration. (I don't actually have any RAID arrays set up.) This is the configuration that Dell ships the systems with.

Hopper82 likes this.
  8. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, clear.
    I think I will go for AHCI option to have full samsung support.

The delivery date is fixed for 27/08 by Dell, can't wait to change my old 3720QM ProBook:D

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    So, the cat is out of the bag. Before we get into the meat of the discussion, here are some NVIDIA code numbers, courtesy of NotebookCheck.com:
    Code:
    NVIDIA Quadro T1000    — N19P-Q1
    NVIDIA Quadro T2000    — N19P-Q3
    NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 — N19E-Q1
    NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 — N19E-Q3
    NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 — N19E-Q5

And now, for the crescendo. With the assistance of a particularly helpful Dell chat agent, I managed to get a hold of the relevant part numbers for the Precision 7540 and 7740 DGFFs:
    Code:
    Precision 7540

Quadro T1000:    CWF0J
    Quadro T2000:    HV0DX
    Quadro RTX 3000: MWDWM
    Code:
    Precision 7740

Quadro RTX 3000: RY4MY
    Quadro RTX 4000: 5HPJW
    Quadro RTX 5000: K9TJP

One can find these numbers at this website, too.

triturbo likes this.
  10. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.