The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi !

HP has activated Zbook 17 G6 customization page !
    https://store.hp.com/app/pdp/hp-zbook-17-g6-mobile-workstation-customizable-6ck22av-mb

Just for curiosity, i've tried to configure both Dell Precision 7740 and HP Zbook 17 G6 with same specs:

i9-9880H + win10pro+ rtx 3000 + FHD display (720p webcam) + 2x8GB ram + 256GB nvme ssd + AX200 & BT 5.0

Dell---> $2,911.31

while HP:
    [​IMG]

I don't know if is there any typo, but it's almost 80% more than 7740 !!!
    Moreover HP standard warranty (3/3/0) does not include NBD (you have to purchase a carepack should you wish)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @xklis

yes, I saw the new page on HP site this morning.. but I think it's still a pre-release page, for the price (that are really too high, also refered to the G5 that it's almost the same machine!) and also because not all the options are available yet (no xeon and no HK on cpu, for example).
    I don't know how many time will take to HP to have the full series released, but maybe it can go as far as september/october.. (and in my case was not acceptable).

3. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For that custom unit you can see in my previous message shipping date was 08/19

Moreover this page:
    https://www.laptoparena.net/search/hp zbook 17 g6
    has several pre-assembled units whose release date is set to 08/01 for everyone.

Maybe after that day, every cpu/gpu options will be available on their website.

4. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That sounds probable, the G6 had to be available in early july as the Dell (from the rumors).

Anyway I already placed my order and this time I'll go for Dell, hoping to have made the right choice (still I'm sure the G6 will be a great machine, too).

5. wss1995

wss1995 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G
    Sorry for a sudden question. As for the Precision 7540, will there be an BIOS update soon for 3200MHz memory options?
    I am running 16GB x 4 DDR4-3200 memory but it will freeze or even not boot at all. Meanwhile mixing three fast sticks with one 8GB DDR4-2666 makes them running at lower speed without any problems. The ram I am using is Crucial CT16G4SFD832A which has JEDEC standard 3200 CL22.
    Thanks.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Hi, @wss1995. Since you got a 7540, I'm wondering which GPU you purchased it with, and if it's the Quadro RTX 3000, how many cores it has?

You can do this by going to the NVIDIA Control Panel (should be available in the Start menu), and clicking on the 'System Information' icon at the bottom-left of the window. You could then take a screenshot (Windows key + Shift key + S) and pasting it here. I hope you could help me out, thanks!

7. wss1995

wss1995 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1920 CUDA cores for RTX 3000 confirmed in nvidia-settings on 18.04 LTS.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Thanks (I forgot that not everyone runs Windows).

So, it's not just my GPU, @Aaron44126. Looks like Dell has, once again, gimped the RTX 3000 on the 15-incher...

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Technically we don't know for sure until we hear from someone who has RTX 3000 in the 7740 (or a system from a different manufacturer).
    It's a shame that they don't disclose a hard difference between the cards. Still, just two generations back, there was no option to have a 3000-series card in a 15" system, so, it's "better than nothing" :-\

10. Stalafin

Stalafin Newbie

Reputations:
    I have ordered a 7540 without a dedicated nVidia card, with the Intel i9 9980HK, and the 4K UHD display. I also went with the minimum 8 GB of RAM and 256 m.2 SSD, because I will replace these myself.

Pretty long fulfillment times, right now. Having ordered yesterday, it tells me that I will get the device in the first week of September. Is this just a worst case scenario and Dell usually delivers earlier, or can I really expect to wait that long?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.