The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    He reported that it is identical to the keyboard used in the 7530/7730.

User32 likes this.
  2. Hope752

Hope752 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks heaps for your answers! I put my order through last night after your reply. It's so hard to get any answers from dell when you ring up. Much appreciated!
    Do you know how many nits the UHD screen was in the 7710 was? Just to get an idea of the improvement.?

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    See here and here.

User32 likes this.
  4. Hope752

Hope752 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does HDD slot 4 (next to battery) run as fast as the other 3 HDD slots?
    • NOTE: Slot 4: SATA; Slot 3, 5, 6: PCIe. Please note that the slots are marked against there respective slots in the system.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    In the 7730, all four slots had the same performance with NVMe, I don't see why this would be different with the 7740 (but we probably won't know until people test it).

6. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    All have the same performance when a PCIe NVMe SSD is populated.

DynamiteZerg likes this.
  7. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G
    Hi !

As mentioned in this link:
    http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys... P53/ThinkPad_P53_Platform_Specifications.pdf

P53 will have FHD HDR 400 display.

According to vesa certification (https://displayhdr.org) hdr400 means true 8-bit image quality.
    So no more 6-bit + dithering like all the fhd displays we have seen so far on 7530/7730.

In these two posts:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...pecs-release-date.827802/page-9#post-10931725
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...pecs-release-date.827802/page-9#post-10931725

you said that HDR400 is now offered on 7540 for UHD.

What about FHD for both 7540/7740 ?
    Are they hdr400 too ?
    If not, does Dell plan to offer this type of panels later on ?

P.S.: i don't know why in that pdf it's specified 500 nits of brightness for a hdr400 display (it should be 400 nits as max value).
    I tried searching on panelook and AUO90ED (http://www.panelook.com/B156HAN09.0_AUO_15.6_LCM_overview_37729.html) seems to be in accordance with specs in the pdf link posted above.

8. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi there,
    I've just ordered a new 7740 with a i9 9980HK, no discrete graphic (I'll mainly use it with devs VM), FHD ips with carbon cover, all the aux options (nfc, fpr, cr), 6 cells extended life battery, and I will pair it with 64gb of HyperX C15 and a 2Tb Evo Plus nvme (out of Dell options, obviusly).

The first thing I think I have to do will be re-paste the cpu and try an optimization (undervolt) with intel XTU or throttlestop.

Onestly in a first time I would like to go for a new Zbook 17 G6, mainly for the optical bay, the extra 2,5" drive space also with 6 cells battery onboard, and because of my last bad experience with a Dell Vostro 1700 (really bad drivers for switchable graphic and ugly fan management), but the HP it's still unavailable with no infos about the releasing date so.. let's give another chance to Dell. Hope that with no dicrete graphic drivers wouldn't be a problem, and hope that the thermal management in a 3000$+ workstation will be ok.

Now I've just to wait till the end of August to begin some test.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    bobbie424242 likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Sounds great... Enjoy :)

Unfortunately fan management seems to be a consistent issue with Dell laptops. Opportunities to control the fan behavior are very limited. Dell does provide the "Dell Power Management" software which has some profiles that you can select from but we have found the "Quiet" profile to be actually louder than just running on the default setting. On the plus side, the Precision 7000 systems actually do have good cooling so the fan should be able to stay off or on low speed (very hard to hear) just about all of the time unless the system is busy. Repaste and undervolt will also help you here. I would be interested in the results of some "before and after" tests if you try this.

Two things that I will mention for you: First, make sure that PCIe link state power management is set to maximum power savings in Windows power options advanced settings. (With the previous generation 7530/7730, if it is set to anything else, the fans tend to stay on at a moderately high speed unnecessarily.) Second, there is an option for limited custom or manual fan control, see the link in my signature.

Hopper82 and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  10. Hopper82

Hopper82 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your tips, Aaron, really appreciated.

I will make some pass of Cinebench and other syntethic benchmark before and after repaste/undervolt. I will keep the fan speed as last thing.

Just for information, do you think it's better to made a clean installation of Windows or use the Dell one? I also ordered the Dell USB recovery stick, in case.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.