The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. microdou

microdou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I might be able to live with 8-bit but 6-bit is probably too low.

Weight: Well, I'm already carrying M6700 and am happy about it. Weight is really not an issue here. I actually would rather 7740 be a little bit thicker to be more powerful. I can be the minority for the need though...

HDD: Nvme surely is fast. The only downside I can think of is the capacity. I'm a fan of Samsung Pro SSD due to durability. The largest so far is 1TB. It means 7740 (supposedly configured with high capacity battery) can only do 1 TB x 4 in total if I stick with Samsung 970 Pro. While for my old M6700, I've been running for years 4 TB 2.5 inch SSD x 2 (Samsung Pro), a 1 TB m2 SSD and a 2 TB mechanical HDD in DVD bay, bringing up to 11 TB of storage.

nvme likely can bring in several times higher speed boot to my current configuration. Would be interesting to experience it if I ever decide to upgrade.

2. microdou

Reputations:
    Honestly I've only specifically tried 10-bit images several times in Photoshop.

I think it's mostly a mental thing when most apps don't support or optimize for it. I also run Linux, which is more flexible for optimization. I think there might be a way to fully utilize 10-bit in Linux. Just my guess

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All of the 4K panels that Dell is offering are 8-bit. Just the 1080p ones are 6-bit. (I believe that Dell is cheaping out here.)

Run some numbers for durability. 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO is warrantied for 1200 TBW. To hit that in five years you would have to write about 675 GB of data to the drive. Every day. For five years. Furthermore, stress tests show that these drives normally operate fine well beyond the warrantied TBW value. Endurance of the EVO drives might be less than the Pro drives but it is still high enough that most people will never have to think about it. (Even with QVO, which have half of the TBW as the EVO, you'd have to be writing an insane amount of data before starting to worry.)

That said, limited capacity of NVMe drives is also a reason that I'm not ready to upgrade yet. I already have 6 TB of flash SATA storage in my M6700. I'd like to see 4TB NVMe drives appear. It sounds like they will have QVO NVMe drives out with the next batch (Samsung 980 or whatever) and maybe there will be a 4TB version of that. I'd like to get a 1 TB "Pro" drive for the OS and set up a 12TB array (3x4TB) for data.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. microdou

Reputations:
    I heard people saying to never touch QVO...

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any hard data? The TBW is less and that freaks people out. It is still high. The drives reviewed very well. I have one in my M6700 and it hasn't given me any trouble at all.

6. anuraj1

anuraj1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. If I can get a decent deal on the RTX 3000, I might try to upgrade the mobo and GPU at the same time.

Awesome, I appreciate it!

7. microdou

Reputations:
    No. Just according to rumors and physics...

LOL, M6700 is such a bad boy. So many people still stick on it!

8. Don Patrone

Don Patrone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which ram should i use to upgrade the 7740?
    HyperX or Crucial ......., which CL ??

I will upgrade it to 64GB.

9. Alghorabi

Alghorabi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what panel is in the new 7540? The UHD one with HDR400 . Does anyone know if that panel would work in a 7530?

10. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my precision 7540 with the 4k monitor and its pretty amazing, just sucks that some serious issues with some apps and scaling, but HDR400 works, I tried some 4k HDR youtube videos and its a nice boost from regular viewing. Have not had much to do on it yet, (working on my desktop 3900x system as well). The 7540 system has the rtx 3000 with the i7-9750, 8gb and 256nvme and the 97wh long life. The system weights at around 6.6 and my m6800 was over 8+
    Upgrade RAM SPECS:

Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL20 SODIMM (Kit of 2) Memory HX432S20IBK2/32 from amazon

I did not upgrade the cpu, because I think this i7 6 core is plenty, and I still believe this chip will give really good single threaded performance and other chips will throttle more IMO, the GPU I wanted to future proof and be able to handle things in the future. And a faster gpu when set to battery mode will give me far more performance then slower gpu on battery settings, and there is a threshold of GPU performance that I need for CAD/CAM and most cpu’s where not the limiting factor, having other devices, tablets, old laptop etc… That had quite the limited cpu, but decent single thread performance but weak graphics, and on battery mode it only amplified those weaknesses.
    I wish every software would already fix scaling (I will have to try and change resolutions for specific apps that are critical for me and see if that works, dev’s said they will address in “next release” TM), because I really enjoy reading text and having high ppi for CAD/CAM that makes things look so smooth and real without having to even apply much AA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.