The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What might the TBT in "Salomon TBT" stand for?

The picture looks like WD19DC which is USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 but TBT looks like there is ThunderBolT involved or just a misunderstanding between the tech and sales persons? ;-)

I am interested, too, in real user experiences of WD19DC connected to multiple displays, USB devices like external disks and one head set, and being the power supply for 77x0/75x0 mobile precisions without throttling due to high CPU, M.2 storage and dock usage.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    TBT = 'ThunderBolt?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. firest

firest Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe ThunderBoltTwin

4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I think given the price of the tensor cores and the resultant low ROI with low core counts, NVIDIA might have chosen not to offer any lower-end RTX versions.

The desktop equivalents themselves start at the Quadro RTX 4000, which, as far as CUDA core count is concerned, is equivalent to a GeForce GTX 2070.

Nvidia isn't offering RTX for lower-end GeForces either; below the RTX 2060 sits the GTX 1660 Ti and the 1650 Ti, and they don't have tensor cores, as evidenced by the 'GTX' versus the 'RTX' branding.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No reason that they couldn't offer a Quadro based on the GeForce 1660 or something for the low-end. It wouldn't have to be RTX. They've split the cards up before (look at Precision 7X20 which had a mix of Maxwell and Pascal cards.)

Based on past iterations, I suspect that the mobile Quadro RTX 5000 will offer specs similar to the GeForce 2070, with RTX 3000 being similar to the 2060 and RTX 4000 being somewhere in between. No way to know really until NVIDIA drops some specs and that probably won't happen until these systems are about to ship.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Poked around a little more and noticed that the second link mentions that they have a new HDR 4K display on offer. Interested to see that. Also I want to see how the aluminum cover looks. I really like the look of the "rubberized" cover on the 7X10-7X30, but because it is more easily damaged, I would prefer an aluminum cover like they were using on older systems.

No idea what "Salomon docking" means but hopefully it is better than what we are used to for Thunderbolt docks.

[Edit]
    I guess the first link has an image of the aluminum cover. Nice. I dunno, I kind of wish they had a darker gray option. Also, the bottom cover on the systems is normally black but it doesn't appear to be black in these images. It could be a trick of the lighting, or, did they actually lighten it to be more gray/silver? Maybe only if you get the aluminum cover version? It looks black in the images in the second link.

[Edit 2]
    I just realized that the Intel AX200 cards have dropped on eBay (all coming from China it looks like).
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=intel+ax200
    Definitely picking one of these up to try in my M6700. I actually just got an AX router, arriving today. (AT&T has a gigabit fiber line run to my property, they just haven't activated it yet...)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Ionising_Radiation and Kyle like this.
  7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
  8. firest

firest Newbie

Reputations:
    Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Great, this has actual specs for the cards.

RTX 3000 = 6 GB, 2304 CUDA cores
    RTX 4000 = 8 GB, 2560 CUDA cores
    RTX 5000 = 16GB, 3072 CUDA cores
    (Tensor and RT core counts are proportional to the CUDA core count as with every other Turing GPU)

Speeds aren't listed, but based on just the CUDA cores, the mobile Quadro RTX 3000 is similar to a desktop Quadro RTX 4000 (what?), with a bit less memory. The mobile Quadro RTX 5000 is similar to a desktop Quadro RTX 5000. The mobile Quadro RTX 4000 is in between the two.

Oh, to compare to the GeForce line, mobile RTX 3000 is similar to GeForce 2070 (again with less memory); neither of the others directly match up to a GeForce card. Mobile RTX 5000 actually has slightly more CUDA cores than a GeForce 2080 (which has 2944), but nothing approaches the 2080 Ti.

In reality, these cards are probably below the desktop counterparts that I have listed here because the clock speeds will be reduced a bit... we don't have numbers on that, yet.

[Edit]
    They also confirmed previously unknown "T2000" and "T1000" cards for the 15" system, filling in the lower-end GPU slots that I was complaining about. It looks like these are Turing GPUs but without tensor and RT cores (no ray tracing / RTX). T2000 is similar to GeForce 1650 Ti, and T1000 is the lowest-spec Turing card seen so far, a bit below the GeForce 1650.

[Edit 2]
    Looks like HP is getting the same options, but Lenovo is stuck with the same Pascal cards as the current generation...

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    firest and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    The ZBook 15 G6 is getting the RTX 3000. I've always said I would've gotten the ZBook if only HP had offered the P3200, and here they are.

Oh well. At least Dell is using the DGFF. I really do look forward to seeing if I can use the RTXs on my 7530 — that's an easy upgrade, given the chassis has hardly changed. I do expect extremely low clocks, though, taking a look at the GeForce RTX side of things for laptops.

The RTX 3000 might end up having some 40% slower clocks, and consequently that much worse performance than an RTX 2070. The RTX 2070 on desktops achieves Fire Strike Graphics scores of more than 2× that of the GTX 1060 (~26000 vs ~12500).

Time to wait and see. Thanks, all, for the information.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.