The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7740/ 7540 specs / release date

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kvandel, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
  2. firest

firest Newbie

Reputations:
    What are you thoughts about Lenovo not being part of the game?
    It seems like they want to sit out this release cycle.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They might hop in later. Their 17" entry in the previous generation was behind Dell and HP by a few months IIRC.

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G
    Now that the cat is out of the bag, are you available to answer some questions about the Precision 7X40 systems?

6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Pure speculation but maybe the P2/P53/P73 will be announced soon at NXT BLD (June 11th) ?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I kind of think that these must be a ways off, since NVIDIA is still showing the previous generation cards in their material. (They had the new cards listed for Dell and HP systems before those systems were officially announced.)
    It might be the case that Lenovo doesn't see a reason to hurry, I imagine their workstation sales are lower than Dell and HP's are.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    And this PDF link from NVIDIA details the new Quadro RTX, T and P series and their specs, versus the current-gen Pascals, @Aaron44126.

Seems the RTX 3000 gets a decent deal, actually, despite being on the lower end of the entire RTX spectrum. Obviously there are plenty of cards beneath it, but I look forward to some performance metrics...

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link. Unless I missing something, there is still no clock speed mentioned. However, at 110W max power consumption (at the high end), I am expecting it to be cut substantially from the desktop cards. I also suspect we'll have a similar situation to the current generation with the RTX 5000 not performing much better than the RTX 4000 (despite the huge price markup) because it will be power-throttled all of the time. Though I guess the extra RT and tensor cores would be beneficial regardless ... if you actually have anything to use them for.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Anandtech, for some reason, has clock speeds in their article. I wonder where they plucked their details from. Taking a peek at the GTX 2070, it appears the RTX 3000 has about ~90% of the clock speeds, which is not too bad, considering low clock speeds on the notebook GeForce RTX cards appear to be the norm. There have been reports of RTX 2060 Max-Q cards being clocked out of the factory, at less than a gigahertz. However, it appears (for some reason) that the Quadros are clocked a fair bit higher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.