The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7750/7550 release date?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Anyone know when the next refresh is going to happen?

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    As always: we might have to wait until Intel 10th gen and NVIDIA Ampere launches, so likely after June. AMD has posited some really interesting Ryzen CPUs this time around, so I hope Dell includes them as options as well.

Kyle likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Rumor has it that Intel will be dropping 10th gen H-series CPUs at the very end of March. It's normally a couple of months after that for the Xeons to be ready so I agree with the June estimate.

I disagree that we have to "wait" for NVIDIA Ampere GPUs. Dell (and the other big workstation vendors) has never waited for NVIDIA and there are occurrences of waiting nearly a year or so before next-gen NVIDIA GPUs are available in the Precision line. If Ampere is ready when 7X50 launches, we'll get it; otherwise, it'll be Turing for another year or so. There is murmuring that we'll also hear about Ampere in late March, but it normally takes them a while to get laptop chips ready. They're just getting around to launching SUPER GeForce Turing chips for laptops, so they won't replace those with Ampere ones within the next few months, and mobile Quadro has never beaten mobile GeForce to market. I'm sort of suspecting we won't be getting Ampere mobile Quadros this year.

[Edit] Clarity

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Kyle likes this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I figured this Reddit thread would be interesting. Precision 5550, 7550, 7750, and an XPS-style 17” 5750.

Kyle and SvenC like this.
  5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Man, always a pain to get the language set back to English after visiting one of these links... (Figured it out)
    Basically as expected that they are working on these. Intel 10th-gen H-series CPUs supposedly drop on March 31. That would set up good timing for a Precision refresh in June.

Latest word on NVIDIA Ampere is that it will not formally announce until August. That would be in line with NVIDIA's typical two-year cycle. If it was going to be March (at GTC) as speculated earlier, we would be seeing media invites by around now. (https://wccftech.com/igors-lab-no-nvidias-ampere-gpus-are-not-launching-in-march/)
    So this year's Precisions will likely have Turing GPUs, either the same slate as last gen or a pretty modest refresh. (Wouldn't be surprised to see the low-end ones refreshed but the high-end ones stay the same. The RTX 5000 is already a maxed out TU104 chip.) Dell has never refreshed the GPUs mid-cycle. But they've been doing other things that they've never done before (i.e. 4000/5000 Quadros in 15" systems), so who knows.

17" XPS system is very intriguing to me. Can't wait to see what this is like.
    Also wondering if they are changing up the chassis for the 7000-series systems this year. There is that different form factor DGFF Quadro RTX GPU that you posted photos of in a different thread that makes me think that they probably are.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Kyle likes this.
  6. additional_pylons

additional_pylons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126 and @Ionising_Radiation did the links on that reddit thread (which are no longer useful) have any information on the CPUs?

Wondering if there is any chance for a Precision with a Ryzen APU.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Saw this article on the Xeon CPUs today. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-comet-lake-xeon-mobile-specs-workstation
    I do not expect AMD CPUs to be available this time around. They're pushing for the high-end laptop market (gaming notebooks / business systems) with the Ryzen 4600U/4800U but I'm not sure if the feature set is quite up there enough to get them into the mobile workstation market. If they do show up, it will be in a separate system model (i.e. Precision 7751).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    additional_pylons likes this.
  8. mikhailk

mikhailk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Aaron44126

There's one impressive mobile quadro rtx 6000, available so far in only one machine.

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I've seen this. It's rather pointless. This card would need around 260W to be able to perform at potential. Quadro RTX 5000 is already power-starved, offering only 5% performance over RTX 4000 (at best) in benchmarks. I rather doubt that Dell is going to start packing larger-than-240W power supplies (never mind the bulk of the cooling system that would be required to disperse that much heat). Prior posts from @Dell-Mano_G have indicated that what they are offering strikes the balance that they perceive that people want between performance and bulk. So the GPUs that we get will likely continue to be capped at around 110-120W.

I found another article indicating that laptops with 10th-gen Comet Lake CPUs and NVIDIA GTX "SUPER" graphics will be launching soon. I don't have the link handy but I believe it said April 2 or 3 was the launch date, in line with prior "rumors", and still setting up the next-gen Precision refresh for June/July. (Workstation refresh usually follows consumer refresh by 2-3 months.) The whole coronavirus/COVID-19 situation may throw a kink in plans and cause a delay, as it has caused disruption to the workforce top-to-bottom. We'll see what happens.

etern4l likes this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    According to @Ionising_Radiation the flagship 16GB Quadro RTX 5000 card is limited to 80W TDP, resulting in video benchmark performance on par with 2070 Max-Q on stock settings. Which dGPU Precision options operate at 110-120W?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.