The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7750/7550 release date?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The document is from 2017. Dell could have (hopefully?) updated the specs since then as drives have become faster.
    In any case, I recommend that you purchase a SSD separately from Dell (Samsung 970 series is nice) unless you really prefer to have the drive covered under Dell's warranty. It'll be cheaper and probably better too.

2. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    few q's:
    1. the 60hz 500nit display that's dci-p3 is thta mini led?
    2. how's sound performance? i had 7740 before and it was pretty horrible.
    3. how would that 600nit screen different from the 500 one? what's the benfit there

tia :)

AlexeyAlekpekov likes this.
  3. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 500 nit FHD and UHD displays are not mini led (2D Backlight) based. Only the 800 nit display is.

Sound performance remains to be seen. Do you mean DPC latency issues, or the built-in speakers? The answer for both is that we will have to wait and see until someone receives their unit. There are no reviews for these machines and won't be for a while.

The 800 nit screen (HDR600) has the mini-LED backlight which allows for near-OLED black levels. Contrast is around 5000:1.

4. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks

and yes, sound from speakers. as for the 800nit display, i guess that's due around fall and i wonder if it will be only 4k or 1080p interesting

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Did you enable MaxxAudio? Contrary to many posters here, I find that sound drastically improves with it enabled, primarily because it allows the notebook to use the built-in 2 W amps to drive the speakers. Sound is louder, clearer and rounder.

6. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    wtf maxx audio? i guess ill enable it next time if i get a 7750

7. AlexeyAlekpekov

AlexeyAlekpekov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it true that the 7750 is very noisy under high load? And even in simple mode, it is extremely noisy. The noise is annoying! What are some ways to reduce wild noise? It may be necessary to install advanced thermal compound?

8. SlurpJug

SlurpJug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 7750 has been out for less than a week and nobody outside of those with engineering samples or those who work for Dell has one. We don't know the acoustics of the machine, again, because nobody has one yet.

What exactly are you trying to say? Are you asking if the machine is noisy, or do you already have the 7750 in your hands and are saying that the machine is too loud?

Unfortunately, you'll need to be more specific.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Agreed with @SlurpJug, we don't know because no one has one of these yet, we don't have an account of the noise. However, load makes heat, and that means that the fans have to ramp up (previous systems have pushed the fans as high as ≈5000 RPM) and that is going to make some very noticeable noise. This would be true for any high-end laptop. Whether or not it is enough noise to be annoying is totally subjective. Swapping the thermal paste isn't going to help you much here.

Supposedly, the metal fan blades which are new to the 7X50 systems can push "more air at less RPM" so these systems might actually be quieter than before. However it looks like they have also raised the long-term power limit on the CPUs so they will be putting out even more heat, which means I think that the fans won't actually be running at a lower RPM during high load.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    SlurpJug likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.