The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You would in all likelihood saturate the core long before the vram buffer so its nothing to shed tears about lol

I would saturate my old 780m long before vram on that too lol

2. Pastor

Pastor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Welp i will get at least the w5170m, pretty decent compared to the GPU i could get on newer basic systems, It can handle some mid gaming even Battlefield V runs on it lol

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    yeah still balances the system well enough for what it is

4. Pastor

Pastor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Funny sad part is that the wx 4130 is cheaper than w5170m on China lol, but seems a rebranded GPU stuff as they have being doing on their current line of GPU...

5. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    need help please.
    after windows 10 installation finished. and rebooted my laptop. it got stuck at dell logo.. the bar gets full but freezes.. f12 i see it gives message to boot to f12 settings but freezes with message.. doesnt get past the logo or full bar..

6. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's time to throw away that 8 year old laptop lol

7. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Might want to reinstall, I had no issues with windows 10 but I believe I did install via uefi environment can't remember.

raptorddd likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is important to realize the difference between legacy and UEFI boot.
    If you boot the Windows install media via legacy then it will set up a legacy install. If you boot the Windows install media via UEFI then it will set up a UEFI install. You can't flip-flop between them after it is set up.

The option that you have chosen in the BIOS isn't the only thing to worry about. For example, if you have the BIOS set to legacy boot (not UEFI boot), you can still select both legacy and UEFI boot options from the F12 boot menu; if you booted the Windows installer with UEFI boot, Windows would set itself up for UEFI booting, and then fail to boot automatically after the first reboot happens.

If you have UEFI boot selected and UEFI secure boot turned on, then the F12 boot menu will only allow UEFI boot sources. However, secure boot wasn't added as an option until M4700/M6700, so I believe that no matter how you set up a M4600 it will still offer both legacy and UEFI choices in the F12 boot menu. So, you must select with care when booting for a new Windows install.

I recommend using UEFI for Windows 10. Set the BIOS to UEFI and make sure that you use UEFI to boot the Windows install media.

raptorddd likes this.
  10. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    well dont assume that everyone has money or same opportunities. i for one dont have nor the money or opportunity so i must work with i have and can get.. am unemployed get panic attacks often.. and live in a very small town in mexico.. i would if i had the money...