The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is now so annoying that I want to take controll from EC. I did following:

1. put to command prompt:bcdedit /set nointegritychecks off (I also tried with bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON)
    2. re-booted.
    3. I run Dell fan utility from here: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ANfN72eDdyf7EVg&id=72316AA2942F0A8A!167998&cid=72316AA2942F0A8A

4. I disable EC

upload_2021-4-4_8-38-10.png

Only problem is that this program does not disable the EC so I can not adjust the fan settings with HWinfo. Any idea what I have done wrong?

2. Juhantti

Reputations:
    I also tried this by downloading your DellFanCmd-master folder.

upload_2021-4-4_13-29-13.png

If I now type that "DellFanCmd.exe ec-disable" it does not understand the whole command. I know I am complete idiot what it comes to Powershell and these programming things.

I would really prefer an option I could take controll of fans without rebooting the machine. I sShutdown this laptop always and when I turn this on again I would prefer the option I can take controll of fans without rebooting the machine after that. If I understood right the Dell Fan Utility did not need rebooting after the driver signature check was off by command:"bcdedit /set nointegritychecks off".

upload_2021-4-4_13-38-7.png

At least the "nointegritychecks is is satus no, so I think this should work. How ever now the problem really is that I can not take controll for fans no matter what I try.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Use "Command prompt" and not "PowerShell" and it will be easier to use. In PowerShell you have to prefix with ".\" to get it to run a program from the current folder.

If you make any changes with bcdedit you MUST reboot for them to apply. bcdedit adjusts the boot-time configuration. However, you do not need to disable signature checks to use this program. The thread linked explains the registry setup needed to avoid this.

4. Juhantti

Reputations:
    I finally managed to take controll of fans. I do not know what I made wrong earlier though.

I wanted to get these fans controlled now with Fanspeed program. I was not very surprised that even this did no go smoothly. I have tried now several hours to get this working but no idea why example with these settings below the cpu fan is running 100%. Do you have any idea why this is happening? Now it is actually even worst than earlier because fans kick in about 50C then fans go 100% state but they stop after 3 seconds and the same cycle starts again.Dell info is enabled in options also. I know hysteresis should be added there also but now it does not affect to fans behaviour.

Manually I can adjust the fans from Pwm1 buttons but nothing adjusted pre-settings does not work.

I compared the temperatures to Speccy temps and end up that I should monitor CPU temps by "CPU-CPU from Dell@03E8-option because those temps seems to match tems I have in Speccy program.

GPU temps seems to match to Temp6-option.

I would really appreciate if you can tell me if you easily see some stupid mistakes I have made here.

upload_2021-4-4_22-14-44.png

5. Juhantti

Reputations:
    The problem was that there was 50 degrees as default warning temps for CPU and GPU. After that I think speedfan just puts fans 100% state.

Well I finally managed to controll fans with Speedfan by increasing the warning temps but I can not really trust the system. It seems that at least from hibernation wake up I end up the situation there was nothing controlling my fans anymore.

This might be good tool for special times when the CPU load is optimal for annoying 3 seconds cooling cycles with EC.

How ever in those occasions I should be easily be able to switch EC back again but that is now something I am not able to do.

Also I am a bit worried does it affect security if I am always using Test Mode in order to get fan controll from EC.

At this point I would be interested to hear is this annoying cooling cycle issue really came with BIOS updates so could there be older BIOS I should try to get reasonable cooling policy?