The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Upgrading the DGFF GPUs in the Precision 7530 & 7730

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Ionising_Radiation, Aug 6, 2019.

1. theBeachBoy

theBeachBoy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Done and updated, I saved a new rom but saw from the cmd window that it was updated when creating it.

I am still getting DPC watchdog violation as soon as I install the Nvidia drivers. I also tried to uninstall UHD completely before installing drivers but aside from that I am really not sure what else I can do on the software side.

I will reopen the laptop and check if I damaged the card physically with the two screws that are not aligned with the holes, or if a dgff connector is not properly installed, etc.

When installing the GPU the first time, I tried screwing the captive screws without noticing that they were beside the threaded holes in the card. I noticed it scratched the metal surface but didn't check up close if I might have damaged a circuit below. It's the only thing I can think of and it didn't cross my mind that I could've damaged the circuit below as it's a metal plate.

2. theBeachBoy

Reputations:
    I guess it's all my fault. The bottom screw I tried too hard and seem to have damaged the card. I have no clue if anything is actually damaged but it's scratched hard.

$500 down the drain by my own fault of trying to go too fast installing it.[​IMG]

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yikes, that doesn't look good. Might want to pop by the hardware tweaks subforum here to see if anyone can fix that for you.

4. theBeachBoy

Reputations:
    I have reverted back to stock config.

I will likely sell back the laptop and buy something like a used 5540 with T2000 or XPS 15 with GTX 1650, not sure which one yet.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. SRom

SRom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am sorry for being always too slow! I am writing just to confirm that about one month ago I was able to swap successfully T1000 with RTX4000 which I got with the help of @Ionising_Radiation Thank you very much for all your trouble!

Here are also the screen shots of 3Dmark if someone is interested to see what was the difference in performance.

First T1000

Time Spy T1000 (25.7.2020).jpg Fire Strike T1000 (25.7.2020).jpg

And here is after upgrade

Time Spy RTX4000 (29.7.2020).jpg Fire Strike RTX 4000 (28.7.2020).jpg Fire Strike RTX4000 (29.7.2020).jpg

I do a lot of video editing and I can say that the difference in performance in Premiere and After Effects was huge, although with the projects which has a lot of layers and animated masking I still can easily max out 8GB of the GPU memory. Before update I have been getting GPU performance related warnings but now the running out of resources warnings are completely different. New bottleneck is memory and sdd. I was trying to get ECC 32gb memory modules directly from Dell Japan, but I was told that they don't have those anymore and also will not have in the future either, so no need to wait, which is very strange as everything so far with the Dell Japan. So next I need to figure out what is the best memory I can get for this system.

Once again thank you very much!

6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Damn, that's slightly faster than the RTX 5000 even. Just goes to show how badly power-starved the 5000 is. I can't wait to try the shunt mod in December.

7. SRom

SRom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder could it be that the small difference is because of the newer and a bit more powerful CPU in my 7540?

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Oh, that difference is within margin of error.

Your benchmark basically proves that in the Precision 7540/7550, the RTX 4000 and 5000 perform equally as well, and there is zero improved performance to the 7550, because the bottleneck is the 80 W power limit.

@Dell-Mano_G, this might be of note to you and the team at Dell: we want moar powah! A VBIOS update for the 7540/7550 with the RTX 5000 especially would be really welcome.

SRom likes this.
  9. SRom

SRom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see.

I would't mind having a bit of a boost for my RTX 4000 too :), but RTX 5000 definitely needs one!

10. marian170

marian170 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I've just finished installing the new card in my 7530, but when it boots there's only a black screen on display. Any idea on why that may be?
    Thanks!