The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Upgrading the DGFF GPUs in the Precision 7530 & 7730

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Ionising_Radiation, Aug 6, 2019.

1. trackerPoint

trackerPoint Newbie

Reputations:
    Still have the P3200?

2. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since it sounds like it matters, the machine I'm looking to upgrade the GPU on is a 7730. But since we haven't had an update, I'm guessing the news it's great.

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm so sorry on the delay.

Dell has been giving me the run-around. I've called and emailed them four times over the past week (apparently a call centre in Malaysia handles Singapore, and it was a public holiday there this past Monday), and the customer support officer I just called earlier this evening (it's Friday night where I am) said I should receive a quote "next week" (verbatim; I asked him to clarify exactly when, and he was unable to do so), because the parts people were apparently "updating stocks and prices".

I apologise for this (even though I couldn't really do much about it), and I really, really hope I get a quote from them ASAP so everyone here can get their hands on a more decently-priced Quadro RTX GPU.

@trackerPoint, I hope you don't mind holding out for a while more until I get the RTX quotes. If I don't get them by next Wednesday, I can consider shipping out my P3200 to you.

Just tagging everyone who's relevant (in case any of you haven't subscribed to this thread, in which case it might be a good idea to do so): @Aaron44126, @faenil, @microdou, @Div033, @win32asmguy, @BotenRedWolf, @contradude, @TunaDog.

4. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,If I may I would like to be in as well
    Thanks

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thinking that might mean "Oops, we messed up on the original price big-time!".

Arman Shahinyan likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I'm afraid so, too. We'll see what we get.

7. trackerPoint

trackerPoint Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again guys. I live in Canada but I have a shipping address in US, so I chatted with dell.us parts rep today. Here's what I found, US dollars -

PR6WV --> Assembly, Heatsink, W/FAN, NVE, 7530 (Quantity 1) - $69.99
    NGRJG --> Assembly, Connector, Board To Board, DGFF, 7X30 (Quantity 2) - $9.99 (I'm assuming ea.)
    MX2D7 --> Cable, DGFF, Power, 7530 (Quantity 1) - $9.99
    XX602 --> Screw, M2x3, Flat Head, Machine Screw, Nickel, Silver (Quantity 4) - out of stock
    RTX 3000 - Unavailable

Ionising_radiation, if u were to end up selling me your P3200, I wonder if the PR6WV heat sink would work with it? -- Later everyone

Arman Shahinyan and supermoth like this.
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    That appears to be the correct, dGPU version of the heatsink.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126, you were right:
    [​IMG]

Top is the Quadro RTX 5000, bottom is the RTX 3000. Is anyone still interested in upgrading? :vboops:

Arman Shahinyan and Div033 like this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    That's more in line with what I was originally expecting :p
    (More expensive than just adding it to a 7X40.)
    You totally lucked out with your card. Also, without that slip-up it would probably be quite a while before we even knew if this upgrade would work.