The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Upgrading the DGFF GPUs in the Precision 7530 & 7730

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Ionising_Radiation, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would suppose that they will run about as well as they do on the 7740, as the P5200 also had 110W TDP. "Full power" is up to your definition. I haven't seen measurements yet but I fully expect the RTX 5000 to be power-throttled. (I.e., the chip has thermal headroom to run faster but the 110W limit keeps it from doing so.)

2. Brian8130

Brian8130 Newbie

Reputations:
    My assumption is the bigger appeal of the RTX 5000 over the 4000 would be the extra memory, if you’re doing the type of work that would benefit from extra memory (i.e. “professional” applications, not games).

Arman Shahinyan likes this.
  3. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't suppose it's too late to pile on? I'm also interested in the upgrade! I'd understand if I'm too late, though.

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The marketplace sounds like a good idea. Have we had any group buys in the past here? Usually you have to have the items in possession to be able to sell them, but I suppose a quote from Dell is good enough in this case, along with good communication as the deal progresses?

custom90gt likes this.
  5. microdou

microdou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome! I'm interested in RTX5000 on 17". Would like to see the price of the parts. Current $2300 official upgrade price makes me cry...

6. trackerPoint

trackerPoint Newbie

Reputations:
    I made an account just for this thread. I too am extremely interested in the RTX3000 and all the hardware to swap it into an intel graphics unit.
    I have paypal and would gladly pay shipping to the east coast of Canada and a payment of your choosing for your time. Thanks for this thread!

7. TunaDog

TunaDog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The RTX 3000 has different part numbers for the 7540 vs 7740? I guess I would have expected them to be the same, but noob to these machines with room for many bad assumptions. What's the difference between the two?

More to the point: what happens if somebody attempts to put a MWDWM into a 7740?

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The two cards are not physically compatible. Dell uses a different size card between the 15" and 17" systems. In the 7530/7730 (Quadro P3200 was shared) they had a different power limit, but that doesn't seem to be the case this generation.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Indeed. This is similar to the case between MXM-3A and MXM3B. The two cards are simply physically incompatible.

One might be able to get it to fit and it'd probably 'work' (meaning drivers could be installed), but the heatsink might not contact the die at all, and the HDMI and DP ports on the card would be inaccessible from the outside.

Not worth it, in my opinion: easier to simply get the card appropriate to the machine.

10. TunaDog

TunaDog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got it. Lots of problems I don't mind solving with a dremel, but this would not be one of them :)