The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro vs. Latitude

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by williteverstop, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williteverstop

williteverstop Newbie

Reputations:
    I've decided to get a Dell Laptop (partly because I have a gift coupon), and I'm going with one of the business models just because I can get XP and less trialware. I'm figuring on something like
    15.4"
    2 GHz core 2 duo
    2 GB RAM
    >100 Gb 7200 rpm HD
    I can get basically the same thing in a Vostro 1500 or Latitude D830. Is there some significant difference between these that I am not seeing? The only thing I can really tell is that the Latitude has no camera option. For that matter, what is the advantage/difference to the classier notebooks like the Precision M4300 or XPS M1330 besides the OS, video card, or fancy screen?

2. Dreamer

Dreamer The Bad Boy

Reputations:
    The Latitude is a high quality notebook, it's all magnesuim alloy and it's thinner and lighter... etc.

The Vostro is still budget notebook, not that it's bad but just not the same league, plus it one of the thickest and heaviest notebooks around.

The Precision M4300 is almost the some notebooks as the Latitude D830 but different design, the workstation version of the video card, ISV-certification.. etc. but then again, it's the same notebook.

The XPS M1330 is obviously a 13.3" notebook with its pros and cons...

3. DeusEx

DeusEx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you do gaming ?

no = latitude

yes = vostro

vid card in vostro is better... but even if you dont, getting a machine with better hardware for the same price is a good deal in any case in my opinion,.. so its up to you :p

4. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    The Vostro does have a magnesium alloy frame, as it is also billed as a business notebook.

5. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vostro is DELL’s new budget line addition to business class notebooks; Vostro 1500 is essentially the same notebook as Inspiron 1520 with a different color. On the other hand, Latitude is considered to be somewhat a premium class brand that has been around for a while and they are well known for superior build quality (almost on par with Thinkpads). Therefore if Video performance is not an issue and if they both cost the same, then go for the Latitude. It is also thinner and slightly lighter too.

But generally you can get a better configuration with Vostro for the same price.

6. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    if you can afford a laditude get one, else get a vostro.

7. praneeth

praneeth Sanath Jaya Suriya!!!

Reputations:
    I would almost go for a dv2500t (with current $400 off deal) over the Vostro. Latitude is a good buy though, excellent built quality...

8. Simic

Simic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't follow the heaviest comment. The Vostro 1400 weighs less than the D830 and at 5.4 lbs is not really one of the heaviest laptops around. I guess the 1500 is heavier though...but still less than the Latitude.

9. sinstoic

sinstoic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Latitude has an attitude (in a positive way). It is the ThinkPad of Dell!

10. blackadder

blackadder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm no expert, but I have read that the vostro/latitudes have some kind of keyboard protection that the inspirons don't, so that if you spill something on them there's less a chance of damage. Also, I think the latitudes may have hard drives that can take more punishment. Like was mentioned, the downside of the latitude is no dedicated graphics. Also the inspirons have more media controls, remotes, etc. I wish they would offer the latitude build with the inspiron graphics/media options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.