The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro vs. Latitude

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by williteverstop, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razor2

Razor2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Inspirons and Vostros are exactly the same apart from the color. If you spill somthing on the keyboard both are dead.

As for Latitudes...they are sturdy, a totally different breed than Inspirons. My 1520 is not bad but the d610 I previously had has a chassis built for the eternity.

2. Dreamer

Dreamer The Bad Boy

Reputations:
    I can't understand why anyone would compare a 15.4" to a 14.1" notebook... :rolleyes: Not to mention there is the D630 as well.

The Vostro 1500 is nearly 7.4 lbs with the 9 cell battery (8.4 lbs with the AC), so yes it's one of the heaviest 15.4"ers around... unless you are buying into the Dell "starting weight" and don't read the text on the bottom of the page. :eek: or you may want to compare it to a 17" notebook this time. :cool:

Like you said you are no expert, the Latitudes have dedicated graphics options and it's been so for a while. Of course, not as powerful as Vostro/Inspirons highest option but still.

Anyway, the OP doesn't seem to care about the video card...

3. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    My Vostro 1400 is better built than my mom's Latitude D510: her screen hinges are wobbly and the whole thing creaks when picked up by a corner. However, it may just be that particular series.

4. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Well, you might say there's a price difference :p

5. Dreamer

Dreamer The Bad Boy

Reputations:
    Latitude D510 is an outdated model, not related to this thread, and if you compared it to the same generation Inspirons they would be far worse...

6. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Sorry for the comparison. That's weird though, because she just got it for Christmas two years ago...
    I guess time really flies in the technology world. However, my dad has a D810 from that era; actually he had it before he got the D510 for her, and his is still going strong. =^)

Edit: And yes I know about the Inspirons from that generation-- I had an Inspiron 2200, and it was garbage, mainly because half of the ram was integrated, and when it failed, it dragged the whole motherboard down with it.

7. blackadder

blackadder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe so. Like I said, I am only going by what I've read, as I haven't taken either apart. I have read in several reviews that the keyboard of the Vostro is "spill proof" and "sealed."

www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3873

Is it really spill proof? I guess only somebody who has spilled something on it could answer that. A (admittedly brief) check of this site shows some people saying the inspirons have the same sealed keyboard, some saying it doesn't. Example:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=185584

8. blackadder

blackadder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, you are right. I should have said "Like was mentioned, the downside of the latitude is the graphics options are not as good." That occurred to me after I posted but I didn't have enough time to come back and correct it (if only I had the free time for 4200 posts in a year! :D). Like I said, I am no expert... although I did know the Vostro was magnesuim alloy :rolleyes: .

9. Dreamer

Dreamer The Bad Boy

Reputations:
    Making averagely 9 posts per day doesn't require much time, but you can use your free time to educate yourself instead of making useless posts like this above. :rolleyes:

10. Samuel613

Samuel613 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Latitude does offer dedicated graphics, though they, like Vostros, are intended for business use, and so will not have the quickplay media buttons and all that. OTOH, the remote supposedly works with the Vostro, so you can still use that.

Latitude has "North-American-based technical support", which is why they are hundreds more than a Vostro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.