The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro vs. Latitude

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by williteverstop, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Vostro laptops aren't really business-quality laptops. Dell likes to market them that way, but they really don't make the grade.

If you shop on eBay from reputable merchants, you can easily find limited quantities of the Latitude D630/D830 laptops at prices that are very competitive with the Vostro line given similar features, ready to ship the next day, either auctions or "Buy It Now" offers.

And yes, good point Samuel613, getting hardware support from a good old-fashioned American (oh, what a novel concept) has numerous advantages. When I discovered my Bluetooth radio to be DOA 2 months after I bought my laptop, not only did Dell overnight me replacement parts, but the tech called me back to make sure I had no difficulty following the replacement instructions, and that everything was resolved!

2. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh...with the Latitudes too, you can pull the CD/DVD drive and install a battery. Can't do that with the Vostros, AFAIK. And no WUXGA on the 15.4" Vostros either.

3. coyote556

coyote556 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How does the ebay purchase deal work out with Dell's warranty? Do you still get it?

4. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Latitudes and precisions are quite a bit more sturdy than the vostro,I had a precision M65 before my vostro and there is a notable quality difference.....the vostro is still pretty good though and IMO fairs very favourably to other makes in the same price range.

I did a picture comparison on NBF between the 2 with a few comments,admittedly,not very good pictures *shrug*

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread203468.html

BTW,the latitude D820,830,precision M65,M4300,are pretty much identical apart from the updated platform on the 30 series,different lid trim on the precisions,and the bios enabled openGL optimisation on the precisions.

5. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another point I didn't see mentioned here...if you want be able to dock your computer, get a latitude. The docking stations that you can get for the latitudes work great! I'd recommend buying one off of e-bay though, instead of paying Dell's inflated prices for one.

dordale :)

6. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Very true...I really miss my port replicator,makes plugging,screen,keyboard,mouse etc soo much easier and quicker.

Also with latitudes,you can have a second [non sata] hard drive or a 6 cell battery that slots into the optical drive bay,plus a built in fingerprint reader,although I found the software suite overly bloated and complicated for my use.

7. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup the warranty is transferrable. Just get the details from the seller, and fill out the form on the Dell website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.