The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 5510 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Question about the 5520 in the office (5520 thread seems now longer open, hope it's okay to post here instead).
    One of the FHD screen is noticeably more yellow / than the others.
    Is this a Windows calibration thing? (correct with the Windows calibrate display colour tool); or do we have to go the icc profile way?

2. solf

solf Newbie

Reputations:
    I am planning to buy this laptop. From all posts it appears that during warranty period Dell just replaces motherboard for any failure, and most users don't even try to reseat RAM, clean RAM, reset CMOS or something. Did anyone experience the death of motherboard when out of warranty?

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We have five of these in the office. One of them had a motherboard failure out of warranty. Well, the Thunderbolt port stopped working so the motherboard had to be replaced to fix it.

4. solf

solf Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Aaron44126, it sounds promising.

Another question: earlier there was a common issue with Samsung SSDs and the NVMe drivers - the users had to download NVMe drivers from Samsung website in order to avoid BSODs. Is anybody using a different SSD? Are you able to avoid BSODs without downloading any drivers from your SSD's manufacturer website? Thank you.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You can avoid this issue by setting the system to RAID mode instead of AHCI (even if you do not plan to set up a RAID array) and using the Intel RST drivers. In fact, this is the stock configuration for the system when shipped from Dell. The issue only occurs with Microsoft NVMe drivers. I'm not sure if it was ever fixed with updates to Windows.

6. Yllar21

Yllar21 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

My 5510 does not POST anymore- no DELL logo, or possibility to enter BIOS (tried F2, F8, F12), turns on with LED lights, stays black up to one minute, cycles fans and shuts down.
    While holding down "M" with power button doesn't give any beep or LED light codes, just stays powered on, holding "D" with power gives RGBW colors on display so display works. Fn and power does not do anything also.

Tried removing all pheriperals from motherboard, tried with one RAM stick and removed CMOS battery for overnight.
    Made bootable MS-DOS USB with older version of BIOS, but haven't found a way to boot from it, as nothing from previously mentioned has worked.

Just when happened tried to enter Windows Safe mode (as had gotten bitcoin mining virus soundmixer.exe) by tapping F8, I got a blue screen (just blue not BSOD) which after rebooting resulted this case. Had latest BIOS on it, warranty ended.

Any ideas to try anything more? :( It seems like possible BIOS problem, has anyone changed or reflashed it manually off the board? Or just calls for a new motherboard?

Edit: by holding Ctrl+Esc while plugging AC in gives 3-3 error code (white-amber), meaning Bios recovery 1, image not found. But nothing on screen. Would there be any problems if order new chip and program install it there?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  7. Lnd27

Lnd27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hello
    i have 5510 with win 10 pro preinstaled.
    and i am using my win 8.1 box version on this lappy, but wanna to made clean install from dell.iso (with drivers i suppose)
    but for some reason my service tag gives me only win10 iso for download.
    is there are any way to grab dell iso for win8.1?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Dell does have some Windows 8.1 drivers posted for the Precision 5510, but they never offered Windows 8.1 as a build configuration to my knowledge, so I doubt that you will be able to find an ISO for this system.
    (5510 launched after Windows 10 was released, so the OS options at launch were Windows 7 or Windows 10.)

9. Xplorate

Xplorate Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

Has anyone tried the new 1.15.0. BIOS update ?
    Does it still have all the settings for undervolting locked ?
    Would appreciate if anyone could share some experience.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. martinez666

martinez666 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes Bios is still locked