The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I had today two identical Dell 7540 BIOS update experience when Dell WD19DC was connected.
    Dell Support Assistant is not part of our company image.
    Current BIOS was 1.10.2 (not any more available from Dell, like 1.12.1). I tried to update to latest 1.13.1.
    Flash stuck to 0%. Power button does not work. I disconnected the dock and waited laptop to run out of battery.
    Connect just the charger and push power on after waiting one minute. I waited until battery level is 20% and flashed again 1.13.1 without any problems.

Third 7540 was running BIOS 1.8.2. I did not even try to flash when WD19DC was connected. Anyway it went OK.

Now I have few hundred devices waiting to be flashed around the world.

Yes I know it's always better to flash BIOS without dock or any external USB devices but it's a bit hard to be done remotely.

After BIOS update I flashed Intel Thunderbolt Firmware to 4.65.108.016, A04 and WD19 series firmware to 01.00.21.01, A06.
    These went OK on all three laptops.

2. asalcedo

asalcedo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Motherboard has been changed.

Laptop seems to be working fine.

BIOS version now is old. 1.4.0

I don't dare to upgrade yet.

Please let me know how your BIOS upgrade goes

3. asalcedo

Reputations:
    Dell Tech insisted that I upgrade to BIOS 1.13.1

I did and the system froze again.

4. Dlenz

Dlenz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there. Out of nothing, OptiX stopped working (no new driver or anything), but GPU otherwise works still fine, just without OptiX.
    By "stopped working" I mean... I hit render, doesn't start rendering -> I stop the render => application crashes. Rendering without any Optix-related features on works fine.

So I updated to the newest driver from Nvidia page (before that running on the newest dell provided driver), sadly that didn't fix the issue.
    Did anyone experience this as well? Any ideas on how to solve this?

Dell Precision 7740
    Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

Thanks for any tips.

5. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was the Dell dock WD19DC connected during BIOS update? Next time maybe better do in steps like first 1.8.2 and then 1.13.1, of course without dock.
    Did you get again new motherboard? What BIOS you are running today?

6. wallstreetbets

wallstreetbets Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Precision 7540 and considering replacing my T2000 GPU with a RTX 3000. Do I need a new heatsink for this?

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't think so. Precision 7540 has three heatsink variations:

1. Intel GPU only (DGFF pass-through card)
    2. T1000/T2000/RTX 3000
    3. RTX 4000/RTX 5000

To be sure you should check the position of the screw holes around the GPU core and make sure that they are the same between T2000 and RTX 3000.

8. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys I need help with my 7540, I have a strange problem my Corsair Voyager GTX nvme USB stick does not work at usb 3.0+ speeds on large file sizes
    Everything has been updated on the system and I have exhausted so many possibilities with no results.

It is a very strange thing, benchmarks show normal speeds on the drive and with smaller few gig files the transfer to from the device are fast 200-300mb
    I was testing a 20-30 gig file and it will jump to 30mb and then stay around 4-8mb/s I took same file on a Sandisk extreme 3.0 and it was copying the file at 200mb/s constant

The Corsair Voyager works on all other systems I have used it for many years now without any issue 200-300mb/s speeds

Dell tech support has no solutions they want to look at the system remote, which is pointless IMO I can make a video of it the same, there is nothing that is a simple solution, its quite frustrating going back and forth with simple basic solutions that I have done on my own long before, and they completely ignored the screen shots and the actual problem even that is posted

Does anyone have a solution? I remember something one time, I found that the SD card in the device would slow the usb3 ports (I can not remember if it was on this device) but I disabled it and the speeds went right up

I move large files and (backups etc..) between devices with work that I do and the Corsair has been perfect and my go to.

I have worked around this problem using other USB thumb drive, but have tried to finally tackle this issue

Any advice and tips would be appreciated, I can not figure out what is the problem besides thinking its either some driver / hardware issue, and yes I tried all the ports too

https://www.dell.com/community/Prec...transfer-speeds-large-files/m-p/8011462#M7054

I have updated the ram on that system and replaced the NVME drives as seen in the thread, otherwise system is all updated with bios and drivers, windows etc...

(I do not have the dell thunderbolt dock/extension, only used a 3.0 usb c hub and a direct cable to test the drive on)

9. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Is it possible the drive is failing or their are bad sectors? Even though the smart report says everything is fine, the drive has 245gb writes, the benchmarks are showing good?

DiskMark64_En41tmC7nI.png

10. asalcedo

Reputations:
    I was not using the dock.

I let battery run out and the 1.13.1 showed as installed after I reconnected the power.

Now the system is working well