The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. TunaDog

TunaDog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is probably in here, but searching the thread for "battery" yields 8 pages of results. After skimming a couple pages of those result, I'm asking...

I need a new battery for my 7740. Dell wants something like $150.00 for a replacement battery. There are many on Amazon for roughly half that amount. But are any of them any good? If their capacity is a wee bit smaller I won't mind. But if the capacity is way off from what is claimed, or the lifetime of the battery is going to suck causing me to replace it quickly, then no.

Or to put this another way: I don't mind paying $150 for a hassle-free battery. Can I pay just $70 and still get a hassle-free battery?

2. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. meowpressreturn

meowpressreturn Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the update "Dell - Extension - 15.2.526" is about (installed today via Windows Update)?

Also, is there any reason not to install Windows 21H1? My E6230 got that ages ago, but its still an optional update on the 7540.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I got one of these updates on my 7560. Dell - Extension - 1.7.2.493. Not sure what it is, poked around Device Manager and none of the Dell-specific devices had a version number that looks like that.

Windows 10, version 21H1 is a non-disruptive upgrade if you are already on 2004 or 20H2. (20H2 and 21H1 both just enable some features but are otherwise the same as 2004.) The only really "visible" change that I noticed was how they handle tabs in Alt+Tab if you use the Microsoft Edge browser. They made a change in 20H2 to make all tabs show up in Alt+Tab (instead of just all "windows"), which you can turn off in Windows Settings. Microsoft lately has taken the approach of only automatically upgrading systems that are on a version of Windows 10 that is nearing end of service, so, maybe your E6230 was on a version older than 2004 when it got the upgrade?

5. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    So a while back i've scored a second Precision 7540 (Engineering sample with an unlocked ES i9-9980HK "QQLS").

I don't know if anyone has done it before, but i've upgraded the 4K screen on it to a FHD 300Hz display (the B156HAN12.0)
    I still need to figure out how to get the brackets from the original 4K screen, but damn, the 300Hz looks so sweet :D... this is the best display i've seen that's compatible with what my 7540 was shipped with (it's the narrow 40pin edp connector).
    (Best gamut, brightness and of course, high refresh rate :D)

Gotta say, the intel UHD 630 handles it like a champ, so i also get to keep switchable graphics :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    ctorange likes this.
  6. wallstreetbets

wallstreetbets Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the part numbers for these:

RTX 4000 card for Precision 7540
    Heatsink (RX1Y7?)

And anyone know where I can buy them from? I don't think Dell supplies parts for a Precision 7540 anymore

7. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    I recently sold mine with the RTX 4000 that i had. Your best bet would be aliexpress, i found that there are most if not all parts for 7540 available from china, that's where i got my heatsink too.

8. gutentaghallo

gutentaghallo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I just bought a 7740 with a Xeon E-2286 CPU and would like to set it up with the fastest available hardware.

Has anybody successfully installed 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram (4x 32 GB)?

If I have to stick with the DDR4-2666 RAM, could someone recommend me a specific module that works? I've googled a bit and found that a lot of people were having problems with some modules

As the laptop will run more or less 24/7 I'm wondering what the fastest recommended storage option would be.
    I'm thinking about the Samsung 980 1 TB (If I've seen it correctly, the Pro version isn't compatible)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your answers

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Can't speak to RAM, but I can tell you that Samsung 980 Pro will work, you just won't be able to use it at PCIe4 speed. (Precision 7740 only supports PCIe3.)
    Samsung 970 Pro might be a better choice. Being a MLC drive it has higher TBW / write endurance than either of the 980's.
    [Edit] -- Just checked 970 Pro prices and I do not think it is worth paying twice as much for the higher TBW.

gutentaghallo likes this.
  10. gutentaghallo

gutentaghallo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer Aaron. I'll check the prices here in Australia...

Just need some advices with the RAM. I thought about the Kingston Fury KF426S16IBK2/64 with CL16

But of course I would prefer 128 MB of 3200 RAM, if someone could confirm me that it works with a specific module/brand?