The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    alaskajoel likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Excellent.
    In the link above he is only reporting the "graphics" score for 3DMark for tests with the RTX 5000 card, but I found that score in your results .zip file.

Time Spy (GRAPHICS score only)
    RTX 5000 = 8120
    RTX 4000 = 7727

Fire Strike (GRAPHICS score only)
    RTX 5000 = 21153
    RTX 4000 = 19873

Sigh, as expected, RTX 5000 doesn't perform much better than RTX 4000 (likely due to the 110W power limit). I mean, it is better, but we're looking at around a 5% difference? It would be tough to justify that $1000+ upgrade.
    (Just like last gen with the P5200 vs P4200.)

skakckc likes this.
  3. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    PC Mark 10 Demo...

Attached Files:

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Here is a Timespy and Firestrike of the WX7130. The card seems to be thermal throttling with the stock paste job as it stays around 99C and the TDP jumps up and down in GPU-Z.

The build quality on the 7740 really is something. Compared to the MSI WT75 it is a night and day difference.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    To be frank, though, this is par for the course for AMD GPUs, because they are power-hungry. I'd never want much of AMD in my notebook (desktop workstations are a completely different ballgame).

The performance isn't much better, either, because it's still somewhat slower than the RTX 3000, which is already fairly mid-range. Pity that AMD didn't notebook-ise the Vega Frontier Edition.

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    At least the pricing is inline with the performance compared to the RTX 3000 / RTX 4000. I could technically also make a RTX card work, but then I would need to set the MUX to drive all ports (including the display) with the Intel GPU. Is there still a performance penalty for running in Optimus / hybrid graphics mode compared to dedicated?

7. Davarius

Davarius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the RTX 5000 is far too expensive compared the rtx 4000.
    The more performance is not large enough to pay $1000 (€ 900).

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you check the benchmarks in this link: https://www.51nb.com/review/20190821/995.html
    I believe that the white and red bars in some of his graphics tests represent Optimus on/off. There isn't much if any penalty. Sometimes having Optimus enabled makes it slightly faster. VR tests are a notable exception.

I personally use Optimus on my home system (admittedly old M6700) and have no complaints. You do have to be aware of it though, sometimes it is required to go specifically set an app to use the NVIDIA GPU.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. Davarius

Davarius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone the RTX 5000 in the 7740?
    How long is the battery life and the Temperature with the RTX 5000.

I am not sure should i take the rtx4000 or the 5000, but the price difference is so high.
    I will work 4-5 Years with the new Notebook, Video, 3D Modelling and Gaming.

10. va123

va123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lets not forget how the higher end cpu's and gpus get throttled majorly when running on battery mode, and how fast the battery will drain when you do hit their potential, and some software might even waste that potential.

its quite the balance between the components and the performance that one needs

If you are talking about an app that does some computational work and mostly runs on rendering live frames, well the fact that you are running say 60fps vs 200 fps you would not notice that (we are not talking gaming, but other software with static states like CAD/CAM) but the impact of the power draw will be much higher because of the hardware config

For me personally the 6 core is great, esp with the undervolt, I think I might have stretched my budget to fit the 8 core, but I spent that money into getting the 4k display and upping up to the rtx3000. Might have been better to go with 1080 on 7540, 146ppi is still really good, and my battery over all would have been far better, and I did not know I would be dealing with some scaling issues, had same software on 2k and was fine, but 4k not that great (hopefully next major update they fix it)

The 4k screen does take more power in running it and obviously rendering things to that level, so I can not imagine the battery life with 8 core cpu rtx 4000 or rtx 5000 and 4k screen

Now it would be interesting test for battery users, with vsync on vs off, (most of these panels have max 60hz?) and some software have targeted frame rate options, wonder how that would impact the battery life, since you limit the fps for software and gpu does not need to go above and beyond, and of course its complex depending on the rendering load, gpu settings, performance vs quality etc...