The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7540 and 7740 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by djdigitalhi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can use the touchpad with basic functionality without the ALPS touchpad driver installed in Windows...
    The problem is, Windows can't "see" the touchpad at all for some reason until you install the Intel serial I/O driver.

2. TunaDog

TunaDog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Order placed. I tried multiple sales people, none of whom would/could push through a Linux+NVidia config. I guess if they could do that then they could sell machines without RAM or storage, too. :)

3. Davarius

Davarius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question to the Owners of the 7740.

When i order the 7740 with the best CPU ((i9 9980HK) and the best GPU (RTX 5000) can i use this performance what i buy?
    Or is all throttled?

When it is throttled then it is unnecessary to buy the most expensive parts.

4. lefty1

lefty1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Davarius,
    from my point of view it is possible, but depending on the duration of the workload.
    So if your workload is heavy, but short, you will be almost completely without throttle.
    but longer than maybe 5 or 10 seconds will throttle for sure.
    I have only 9980hk in combination with rtx3000, and not much long term experience
    because i am still working on the setup. Important plus for the "HK" is reduced temps if undervolted...

From what i have heard, throttled 9980 is still faster than former generations...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  5. lefty1

Reputations:
    Stupid question:

I want to start acronis from CD but cannot find the option to exit uefi.

What i did: Enter Bios, unchecked secure boot, restart and enter bios again, but
    no difference in boot options. Only UEFI-Boot possible.

How can i change to Legacy? What am i missing?

Thx

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Unless you have a very old version, Acronis boots fine with UEFI and SecureBoot turned on. I use it this way regularly and I definitely have booted it on a Precision 7530. I have version 2016. Just hit F12 at boot and select it from the boot menu.

7. lefty1

Reputations:
    :)

You are right. I want to use a CD version 2012.
    (I have acronis 2016 also but had a problem creating bootmedia.) 1 USB-Stick completely wrecked, and then no CD in the right size at hand. I wanted to create that bootmedia, because i coudn't find the original 2016 CD..... :-(
    - You understand: -One of those days- :)

I think i better go and have a beer. :)

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I don't think that 2012 version works with NVMe so you might need to get a newer one set up anyway...?
    If you purchased it online you should be able to log into your account at Acronis and see your product history. In addition to downloading the Acronios installer, you can download ISO boot media from there. I've always found that easier than using the media creator tool.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  9. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As requested, attached is a GPU-Z screenshot of my i9-9980HK with RTX4000.

Got a BSOD today, but since downloaded from Dell support new drivers for both the Nvidia and Intel graphics cards. Installed a second 2TB 970 EVO Plus today. Awaiting a second pair of HyperX 2666/CL15 for a total of 64GB (fastest not biggest). Still have to graduate to the WD19DC dock and try to connect and color calibrate my old external monitor. Maybe I can use the colorimeter on the laptop screen before taking that step; there's probably peeps interested to see the gamut profile.

Attached Files:

skakckc likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Care to run a couple of graphics benchmarks to compare against those for the RTX 5000?