The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. gmbfra

gmbfra Newbie

Reputations:
    OK so how do you put a MXM-B Card (length 105mm) into a MXM-A slot (length 70mm) ?

Quote from Wikipedia:

MXM Type Width Length
    MXM-A 82mm 70mm
    MXM-B 82mm 105mm

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can't. The GTX965 is available in both type B and type A form factors, so it can potentially be used in the M4800.

3. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Whoops - as you point out, I had it backwards. As I said, you can fit the smaller form factor into a mobo that fits the larger form.

Sorry for the confusion/mistake.

4. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Depending on what's in the way of fitting an mxm-b card you might be able to remove obstructions

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's not just the obstructions. You will need a heatsink that covers the entire card and that will be more difficult to fit in than just the larger card.

6. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some on HPs have continued to use the original heatsink and just added extra cooling.

I plan on taking it a step further by replacing the stock heatsink mount with an mxm-b mount soldering that onto the stock heatpipe and adding additional heatpipes to link that mount to heatsink/s and fan stored in the dvd drive slot. I have almost all of the parts already :)

I can't say that the same thing can be done on this dell but I thought I would put the idea out there

7. wonz

wonz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is HDMI port work properly? Is m2000m working with optimus disabled?

8. spartan948265

spartan948265 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any update on this? I would like to see if this setup works!

9. cmexonat

cmexonat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I replaced K2100M with M2000M in my M4800. I have modified inf file, restarted with driver signature disabled. Driver installation goes on but fails in the end. If I go to Device Manager and do manual driver update from the folder then I got failed with "Code 28". Tried 362.13 and 377.48 nVidia drivers. Stuck here so far ((

10. Ravenik

Ravenik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I also consider buying M2000M for my Dell M4800. Currently I have K2100m card. I have a question if it is possible to install unmodified drivers for Quadro for M2000M (after physical installation of M200M) ? Will it work without modification? For example I use Win 8.1/x64 and available Quadro driver is 382.05 (R381 U2) - for M2000M on nVidia's website.