The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. I_Borisfen_I

I_Borisfen_I Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, you're wrong. The vBIOS chip marked IS25L004C, the left 8Pin chip from chip in red circle.

2. I_Borisfen_I

I_Borisfen_I Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. I remember why we all flashed Dell's vBIOS to our's WX4150's - fan control. Dell laptops recognizes only same vBIOS to start control GPU fan, otherwise you'll need custom software, like you did.

3. jpsulisz

jpsulisz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Really? My clip wouldn't fit on there because I originally thought it was that but since the clip was much smaller I stopped trying.

Yeah, it'll run it the fans but it seems very basic, almost like it is relying on another sensor rather than the GPU.

I may take it apart again but I am not hopefully since my cheap clip wouldn't hold.

Edit: Was able to get a good connection on the chip by using raspberry pi pins, but 1.38 CH programmer crashes on detecting the chip, and other versions either dont run on my PC or throw errors. Will probably try AS Programmer tonight, I remember there was a link in here for that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  4. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wanted to thank you for your comprehensive post. I actually have a Precision 7510, but this gave me the info I needed to go ahead and try an HP card at half the price of the Dell GPU.

I'll add that for the CH341 software, I used NeoProgrammer 2.2.0.3 from this site, third link down -- the AsProgrammer available on github doesn't include the configuration for the IS25LQ040. The NeoProgrammer download includes the drivers for the CH341a in a drivers directory. I spent like 30 minutes trying to get a good connection with my SOC clip.

5. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

when you say later than id want, what temperatures are we talking about?

my idle temps on both cards (no mods) 0-35 idle and Full throttle 73c max, it kicks in correctly at 60-70 and drops to 45-57

(you can use tech powerup Real Temp there is tick box for AMD GPU temp indicator)

6. jpsulisz

jpsulisz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It would kick in around 80C according to MSI Afterburner on-screen monitoring, on some occasions it would go to 90C until I hear the fan, and then the temperature normalizes.

tyrell_corp likes this.
  7. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    maybe try using graphene layer its 99% of best paste conductivity plus manages surface better

8. aceoyame

aceoyame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found a rom that works for anyone who wants radeon drivers instead on their wx 4150. It was from a lenovo thinkcentre that uses essentially the same card with a 560 bios. Doesn't unlock anything other than changing it to a radeon instead of fire pro. I mainly did this to get the new adrenaline control panel for the new features that are still missing out of the fire pro driver

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10OKWQm7W4Y3-om0TfrZPgh-LwjX81ced/view?usp=sharing

I will still look to see what else I can do for overclocking/unlocking tdp and what not with the bios. This is a starting point.

Note: You will have to use the command prompt version of amdvbflash and use the -f flag to force the flash.

Edit1: Looking at the bios in overdriventool and it shows it runs core 16 mhz faster to 1069 and has a voltage bump as well for that power step. I am going to see if I can overclock now.

Edit2: My post slightly below has a more updated/modified bios.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    jpsulisz and tyrell_corp like this.
  9. thegeforce

thegeforce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how well does the card work with this bios (in terms of fan speed, display ports etc) compared to a card with the dell WX4150 bios?

10. aceoyame

aceoyame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Works perfectly as far as fan speeds and everything goes it seems. However, that bios was a little slower. Reason being it applies more voltage to the core but the tdp is locked so it was running about 960 mhz. I made a tdp unlocked version of it. With that it can run 1069 mhz just fine. Just trying to figure out how to overclock core speeds with it now. I was able to edit the bios for a small conservative ram OC so far.

Looking into driver versions that will let me use overdriventool now that I have proper radeon drivers. I've attached the tdp unlocked one with my small ram bump. I got ram @ 1750 vs 1500 mhz. I think any wx4150 can handle that small bump. If not, the polaris bios editor can change that easy enough.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w5WzR7wimplAFnLk9Fn-y1bDw9-hU-zi/view?usp=sharing

Edit2: Got OC working on core with some voltage scaling or something? I got 1300 on core and 1900 on my vram (samsung). May work for you guys, may need to edit the clocks. Radeon bios editor handles the clocks with 0 issues. I did also flip the bit for 1024 shaders but, did nothing for my card. Perhaps it will for others? Who knows

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cimKibgTSADPf8L0h5Bin6TOR64gGj8u/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021