The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 - Can GPU be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SengXun, May 30, 2016.

1. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, man. Did you buy from this seller? https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-L17822-001-HP-PCA-RADEON-PRO-WX-4150-4GB-MXM/254569181977

I'm also interested to get one and knowing that you don't have to flash anything to work makes everything better.

Also, if it works out of the box, maybe you could do software flashing, or is it locked?

2. aceoyame

aceoyame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I *think* my m4800 has an HP card. I had a bios flasher on hand if I needed it but didnt need to. At first, my m4800 boot but had a black screen with no output. Thankfully, I have several remote control tools on mine. I was able to RDP into my m4800 from my desktop and flash the dell bios over and then it worked.

Though, I've since flashed the RX 560 bios I unlocked\overclocked onto mine. Works amazing now.

3. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I own one of those HP cards that I had tried in a Zbook 15 G2 (without fan control) but I have intention to flash the Dell VBIOS to it so I can use it in my M4800. Although I wondered if it needed to be externally flashed or if it can be flashed while the laptop uses switchable graphics to use a flash utility?

4. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Oh, I have teamviewer and spacedesk here, so it could be a good option if I don't see anything on screen.

Which version of atiflash did you use? Idk if this is relevant, I know it is about nvflash on some nvidia cards.

Also, which RX 560 vbios did you use?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  5. jpsulisz

jpsulisz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, this is the seller I got it from - I did a best offer so you may be able too.

I couldn't flash mine since I had no luck with my usb flasher, so it'd be interesting to see if it could be done via software.

Update on the slice battery from before, the seller got me a new battery and have been really happy with the additional few hours.

6. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    How much did you offer?

Yeah, I've received mine too and this thing is a beast! It's a shame all of those slice batteries will die in some years since it's impossible to manufacture "generic" ones.

7. aceoyame

Reputations:
    In a previous post of mine I linked the source which was a Lenovo aio thinkcentre. Works the fans and everything perfectly. Also got a tdp unlocked and OCD one up as well in my posts.

I didn't use any weird version of atiflash. Just used whatever came with winatiflash and used the command line arguments to flash it.

TeamViewer may or may not work. I know anydesk crapped out when I tried, had to use RDP since that sets up its own virtual display

8. jpsulisz

Reputations:
    I think I offered $55 and the seller responded with $60, I took that.

Aceoyame, you are referring to this post? http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-gpu-be-upgraded.792187/page-42#post-11080014

Looks like its fairly simple with the rom provided may try it this weekend. Are there any oddities to know prior to the flash through software?

I assume this tutorial follows similar procedures: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3550-guide-how-to-flash-amd-gpu-vbios-rx-5600-xt

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. jpsulisz

Reputations:
    I did flash the RX 560 bios that Aceoyame posted with AMDFlash via DOS; the original stock was limited to 30w tdp while the OC ones overheat while fans are on max during stress testing.

Fans still don't function, atleast with my HP card, does the bios still require flashing with a hardware flasher to gain this?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  10. aceoyame

Reputations:
    The fans should function, I am running latest system bios on my m4800, that could make a difference possibly?

If the OC bios is overheating for you then you may need to investigate your cooler situation. I literally scraped off old hardened diamond IC paste from other cards laying around to make a small pile and used chopped up thermal pads to get mine cool. Hits about 80C on load after awhile but doesnt throttle. That means it shouldn't take much at all to cool these even overclocked.

The hardware flasher wont do anything the software flash wouldnt, at least in this case since were not fighting signature enforcement. I didnt hardware flash mine