The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700, NVIDIA Quadro P5000 GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed, I went with the Quadro instead in this case because it is confirmed working in the M6700/M6800 with the ES vBIOS. The price that I got was barely any higher than the going rate for the 1070. AFAIK we still don't have a confirmed case of the 1070 working cleanly with Windows in the M6700/M6800 (though it seems like there are alternate vBIOS out there that might work?). I also like the ability to be on the ODE driver branch which isn't available for GeForce anymore (though probably some additional INF modding could address that, I guess).

2. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed but I also like the part where the P5000m has 16GB of vRAM instead of the 1070's 8GB. Seems like the P5000m is still bloody expensive and the 1070 is about half the P5000m's price!

@RMSMajestic I even saw your fleabay auction for your P5000m!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I saw that too :p

4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. P5000m's 16GB is running @6000Mhz and I believe GTX 1070 is at 8000Mhz. Given that GM204 GTX 980m already have 256bit @6000Mhz I'd have no doubt that GP104 will be severely bottlenecked by that vRAM speed. That's my reason for opt for 8GB on GTX 1070 over 16GB on P5000m. Also even if the bandwidth is not the bottleneck, the core will still be long before the 16GB vRAM is filled. Only part useful is probably cryptonight heavy mining, which doesn't make any sense with a $1k P5000m instaed of Vega FE. Only if you have use for that massive 16GB vRAM,

2. Feebay, not fleabay. If you have noticed my price here is $100 cheaper than on feebay

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    New problem... One week after installing the P5000, got my first BSOD. I had my system locked, I walked away for a couple of minutes, and came back to this...

[​IMG]

The system was docked with an external display being driven directly by the P5000. (Today is my first day since installing the P5000 running in this configuration for an extended period of time.)
    System is normally totally stable, and this one totally blames the NVIDIA driver.

Researching...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    TDR = Timeout detection and recovery

If Windows decides that the GPU is not responding, it will reset the graphics driver. (You might have observed this before... The desktop blanks out and then recovers with a notice in the corner saying that the graphics driver was reset.) If this operation fails or doesn't complete within a specified time, I guess it BSODs?

I found this unintelligible video and this Reddit post pointing to the registry value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\TdrDelay (DWORD)

I dug around some more. Here is some Microsoft documentation on these registry values.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

The TdrDdiDelay one is interesting, it seems to indicate that if a thread gets stuck in the display driver for more than 5 seconds then it will BSOD with the error listed above, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. I'm going to try increasing this value and see if I get any more BSOD. It may well be a driver bug and not a hardware issue, there are reports from other users having this repeatedly and solving it by downgrading the driver...

Granted it has only happened once so far so it may be a fluke, but with the obvious recent hardware change, I don't believe so. I did upgrade to driver version 418 only after installing the new card, though...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Aaron44126 likes this.
  8. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could be a bug in the newest drivers. I'm on an older driver and don't have this issue (fingers crossed)...

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    BSOD update.
    I got another one 8 days later on 2/22.
    Thinking that it might be related to the latest drivers, I reverted to 411.63 (from Dell, for P5000 in Precision 7720). I was clear for about two weeks but got the same BSOD again today. So, it's not related to the newest drivers. It just seems to be something with the P5000 and this system, unfortunately...

So...
    It happens less than once a week and every single occurrence has been while I had the machine docked with an external monitor connected via DVI. I don't think that's a coincidence, I use the machine undocked a lot. So, as a workaround attempt I am now running with my external monitor connected via VGA, so it is attached to the Intel GPU / Optimus flow instead of directly to the NVIDIA GPU (just like the internal display). Maybe this will avoid the BSOD.

[Edit]
    Read a suggestion to disable PCI Express link state power management and that might help... I'll switch back to DVI and give that a go.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    DynamiteZerg likes this.
  10. khvkdv

khvkdv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you have problems with overheating

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.