The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700, NVIDIA Quadro P5000 GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttz-4

ttz-4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody. I have Dell Preciosion 7710 with AMD 5170. I changed it to Nvidia Quadro P5000 vBios is 86.04.3A.00.25, and now I can't install the latest driver 431.36. The latest driver, which I can install is 375.86.
    Can I install 431.36 driver? Do I need to change vBios to another one? What is the name of INF file which I should modify to install 431.36 driver?

P.S. I tried to change to my id the next files nvdmi.inf, nvbli.inf, nv_dispi.inf, installation starts, but in the end I have error message((((

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. ttz-4

ttz-4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, for the suggestion. I already found the way, how to do it ;)

4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Might turn back to this project after dust settle down (Job change and moving) After August 15th. With the help from Aaron, @JEAMN and others there's a good chance that M6700 could live longer (I have all the tools to play around with). Also some good news, the RTX 5000 on HP will likely to continue be in the standard MXM format without EEPROM. Have your kidney prepared.

Personally I think the problem with pascal cards is that, nVIDIA delibrately blocks LVDS output through drivers. with my experience of pascal on 8740w DC2 I have good reason to suspect the same happening to M6700, which have a similar active eDP to LVDS conversion

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    DynamiteZerg likes this.
  5. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Right now I'm using a real 4k eDP display (but take something like 1m30s to display with the P4000 while there is no wait time on the GTX970M) along with the P4000 and an 1.8v programmer.

I tried P5000 vbios on my P4000 with no luck, it doesn't boot/display with the vbios from P5000 but it does boot and display (but code 43) with the P5000 vbios slightly modified (removing the part before the "55 AA") even with the eDP display (which does not use the iGP), I didn't check if the bios in GPU-Z does have the P4000 vram support (8 chip instead of 16).

I also look after the difference between P4000, P5000 and GTX1070 in the vbios (using "ECmerge", allow to compare 3 files at the time, showing add, modified and deleted value) but it does not talk to me. I can localize different settings like TDP, temp, core clock, boost clock, idle clock etc but I tried some modification without taking note so I don't remember if it worked or not.

Also pascal tdp tweaker support now P3000, P4000 and P5000, I didn't tested yet.

So yeah if you have any experiment to try with my laptop I can help, I might also get a running Zotac GTX1080 :)

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Would it not follow that there would be a P4000 vBIOS (probably 86.04.2E.00.0C) out there somewhere that would work better than what you have now?

8. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    I tried but with no luck, even on 51nb and chiphell I couldn't find it :(
    but I think this vbios will allow "high frequency" on the P4000

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    I received a mail from PNY that said Quadro RTX mxm should be available in Q4 2019, no clue about the form factor :/

Wyoming88! likes this.
  10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It was quite a while ago, and I failed to mention the exact setup, but I think it was a msi 1070 vBIOS flashed Zotac 1070 stock DC EDID that runs fine under lubuntu*. Both my displays were recognized properly (the DC and the ZR30w). So I'm more towards that the driver doesn't know how to deal with this DP to 10bit LVDS awkwardness, or something among these lines. I have no idea where the driver gets confused, but I think that you can scratch the panel as I tried flashing it with DP EDID (custom @t456 ), instead of unknown (default). So if @t456, or anyone else for that matter, knows if there's anything special in the driver that he has used and if we can apply it under Windows, that would be awesome.

* The utility that @t456 has made for flashing EDIDs

BTW Do you take in mind Optimus/nonOptimus mode while modifying drivers? I haven't, so I'll try something again.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.