The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700, NVIDIA Quadro P5000 GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, it worked, I tought I just have to replace one entry.
    For the vbios I flashed this one using CH341A with 1.8v adapter (much less expensive than buying a M6800) :
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...o-p5200m-and-gtx-1070m-on-m6700.827595/page-4
    (thanks a lot @RMSMajestic )
    The thing is the card run at a very low frequency (1250MHz) and it is locked, it seems to be a max-q variant, what is the best way to ask prema a modded vbios ? in a thread or by pm ?
    For now I have no BSOD related to the GPU :)

The card was "stolen" from this listing (I got a 50GBP discount) :
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Nvidia-Quad...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attached Files:

2. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Eh, if it is locked at that frequency, it is less interesting to me. I just looked at the specs, and P4000 has 1792 CUDA cores vs M5000M's 1536, but my M5000M is also able to hit around 1.2 GHz. So, P4000 (locked) would not be that much faster than my M5000M, I think. (Currently pretty set on replacing this system with something brand new in about two years anyway... It's getting to the point where I think I'll just wait it out.)

I am under the understanding that modded vBIOS's for Pascal cards (and newer) are not a thing. Nearly all cards have a check in place that will reject non-signed vBIOS'es. This means that you can flash signed vBIOS'es taken from other cards, but you cannot modify them because that will break the signature (causing the card to not boot). This restriction is newly added with Pascal. Maybe there is some trick to get around this that has been discovered... I haven't looked around that much.

There are also options in the NVIDIA control panel to do per-app GPU selection, which is the way that I have been doing it, seems to work fine (with K5000M, M5000M, and P5000). By default the NVIDIA driver will automatically take over rendering for certain apps/games (seems like they have a list of common apps included in the driver) but you will need to manually set it for some less-common apps.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  4. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Is your old quadro P5000 can be overclocked ?

Maybe there is something with my windows installation, my GTX970M couldn't be overclocked (even no boost) except with auto-updated drivers from 2015 installed by windows

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    When I had the P5000 it would run higher than the boost clock, hitting over 1.6 GHz with GPU-Z showing that it was power-throttling (maybe undervolting would allow it to run even faster). I didn't use any overclocking tool to push the frequency up that high, it's just what the card wanted to do.

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    My first issue so far is the crazy contrast when I woke the computer (was in standy). Yesterday I let the computer run for about 45min on furmark with no issue and the gpu below 65°c with a pretty silent cooling

7. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    For exemple here is a run of superposition benchmark, with the card at 1250MHz, maximum power consumption reported is 65w, so there is a huge improvment when comparing with your M5000M for a very small power consumption.
    I'm trying to unlock overclocking and I think that at 1550+MHz the card will be on the same level as the P5000.

edit : I still have some trouble (like on 3dmark) to run the load on the P4000 because there is a launcher and the real "benchmark" is not the same .exe, maybe it's time to get an eDP lcd in order to disable optimus :)

Attached Files:

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You can run the 3dMark benchmarks... You just need to find the actual benchmark EXE and enable the dGPU for that. Run it in window mode and you can easily identify it in Task Manager.

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    So I tried another OS (windows 7) and the frequency is still locked, I attached the FireStrike result :)

Attached Files:

10. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Yeah it's slower but look at the crazy efficiency, I'm trying to find someone that can unlock the vbios :)
    And for the price I get it, it's like 50€/£/$ from a GTX980M and 100€/£/$ from a GTX970M, I guess you could sell the M5000M for around 300€/£/$ and buy this P4000 for nothing.
    Sadly the seller does not have any P4000 left :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.