The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700, NVIDIA Quadro P5000 GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know if it's a good new but my Zotac GTX 1080 (never seen working before, I bought it as non tested/not working) is recognized by the M6700, I can install drivers but the card is in code 43, it seems to have a wrong vbios. The card isn't recognized by GPU-Z until the drivers were installed
    If it's working there are a few modification to make in the M6700, starting by removing the RJ45, then modifying CPU and GPU heatsink and might need a little bit of modification of the flex cable of the keyboard (the card seems to be "blocking" the cable by 1 or 2mm)

2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You'll need to figure out a way to give the card more power as well

3. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    I just need to solder some wire directly from the power supply otherwise it would be limited to 130w.
    But sadly I think the card is not working, GPU-Z couldn't dump the vbios, I tried with different vbios, even with the original from zotac, it made me think that the core is problematic.
    I forgot to mention but of course I use external display (VGA) with the iGP, the eDP is just power up but nothing appear on the screen

4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have an EEPROM programmer? if so you might be able to read the vBIOS by power it up with 1.8V voltage.

Also, It's better to limit the power of the card. GTX 980m has already fried two of my M6700 motherboards

5. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Yes I already tried few vbios (not all) with external programmer with no luck, core and mem voltage seems ok.
    I might try to reflow the card a little.
    To be clear, what you I except if the gpu is not compatible with the M6700 when optimus is running (at least the igp is working in order to display something) ? Like stuck at boot ? Code 43 ? Other code ? I never tried not compatible card with my M6700.
    Also, if the modded drivers are not using the good "GTX 1080" it might cause code 43?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I never ran into code 43. I'll tell you that when I had a Pascal card with "incompatible" vBIOS in my M6700, the symptom was, I could boot to the BIOS and all of the BIOS screens were fine but it would hang at OS boot no matter what I tried. (Legacy, UEFI, Windows, Linux, MS-DOS, all the same; hang at boot.) @iieeann ran into this exact same thing when he tried P5000 in the M6700 before we found the good vBIOS. That's not what you are hitting...

7. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Thanks you

8. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
  9. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't have time yet :/ got exams in Nov and gotta revise while I'm working from 9am to 6pm every day. And I'm not the type of person who has good time management..... not fun :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.