The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 : Nvidia Turing (RTX) card discussion thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by TheQuentincc, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay, I thought it was running at 945MHz in load.
    Can you provide a high resolution top view picture of the card with a ruller on the side ? so we can measure the difference in hole location with a standard mxm card ?
    Like pascal quadro card you can't overclock it, right ?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Man, super interesting. If there is a good solution for the heatsink, I might have to get one.

I overlaid the two cards (RTX 4000 = blue, M5000M = green) to compare screw positions. Not perfect, but close enough to get the picture. Not even the ones around the die match? Yuck.

[​IMG]

Kind of doubt you'll be able to overclock it. When I tried P5000, it was constantly hitting the power limit. Quadro cards (since Maxwell at least) have been really strict about adhering to the power limit.

3. razor0601

razor0601 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    High resolution here is not possible. Only up to 2MB. And it’s not overclockable

Attached Files:

4. razor0601

Reputations:
    There are 2 options for the Heatsink. First is to drill new holes for the core or second to grind the side, but then the RAM is not fully covered.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Does the same X-bracket fit properly?

6. razor0601

Reputations:
    Every Nvidia X-Bracket fits properly

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You didn't have to mod the chassis at all? Just a bit tight to get the card installed?

8. razor0601

Reputations:
    Yes, only a bit tight. I think next week when I have my Dremel back I get it on.

9. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you should be more worried about mosfet cooling, for vram use thick thermal pads if needed, vram doesn't produce so much heat, also if you put thermal pads on the back of the card it should be fine for vram.
    Drilling new hole would be the best idea, as for keeping the card in place, I think you could stick/glue a rubber "cube" on the motherboard then screw a screw into the rubber "cube", it would be enough to keep the card "down" in the laptop, then you should cut old screw hole (which could cause short circuit).

But still, by seeing the price on ebay, that is 600€ for the RTX3000 and 750€ for the RTX4000, I think the RTX4000 is a better choice, more core, more ram and higher frequency, it seems to be about 25% faster than the RTX3000 according to techpowerup specs, so it should be about 50% faster than my already "fast" P4000

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Which approach are you doing? Are you planning to drill holes for the heatsink?