The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 : Nvidia Turing (RTX) card discussion thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by TheQuentincc, Jun 4, 2020.

1. razor0601

razor0601 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the m6700 is fitted together and the RTX 3000 is installed. But the card throttles due to the heat. I think I have now to cut the long thick thermal pad because the core is not fully covered because of the fin over the Mosfets which is to low and the pad is to high. Next problem is, now the Heatsink is more laying in the direction to the display. The speaker pushes on the Heatsink and the holes to Mount the Upper case are displaced. To get the Heatsink fit I had also to desolder the cooling ribs and solder them new.
    So the best option is to drill new holes but I don’t know if it works because the holes will go in the direction to the RAM-cooler which is thinner material.

edit: I also don‘t know which sometimes the clocks stays at 945MHz in Idle and sometimes stays at 300MHz.

Attached Files:

2. razor0601

Reputations:
    Here is my VBios

Attached Files:

Camron.Callantine likes this.
  3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    indeed you have an issue, this cooling can cool down 100 to 110w below 80°C, this card should consumme below 80w

4. razor0601

Reputations:
    But BTW: I think this card would better fit in an m6800

5. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    a M6800 can't be upgraded to 4k display, you need to modify nvram by hand to get ram faster than 1866MHz, you need to modify the cooling if you want to upgrade to maxwell (or at the cost of a very rare cooling that isn't cheap at all), cpu overclocking is not so "free" compared with the M6700 (you only gain a little at a cost of a lot warmer cpu), I think they are inferior in term of upgradability than the M6700, also M6700 parts and laptop are cheaper, for pretty much the same job.. and finally haswell chipset are A LOT worse than ivy bridge one in term of durability, it's a very common issue for these chipset to die for nothing, I never saw something like that on sandy/ivybridge platform

igor_ischuk likes this.
  6. razor0601

Reputations:
    Ok, but it’s too hard to fit in the M6700. I will trade, sell the RTX or put it in AW18.

7. Love is 8770w

Love is 8770w Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    interesting topic....
    I have an 8770w and had the idea to take the RTX 3000 and try to insert it there)))) but... the RTX price is not very good...

8. razor0601

Reputations:
    You can do me an offer.

9. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This card won’t fit in our 8770W.
    A lot of dremel work is required, let aside the holes to the mobo are located differently..

10. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Aetina seems to have standard mxm versions of some turing cards, I had a 970m that was from this vendor and it worked fine. Probably really expensive now but hopefully some would make their way to ebay eventually.

https://www.aetina.com/products-list.php?t=23