The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 : Nvidia Turing (RTX) card discussion thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by TheQuentincc, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it's not worth at all, it will not works as expected, the best thing you could expect from these "usb to hdmi" is basic display output for like office use

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Eh well it's all just theoretical I'd have to put a bit of work in and a decent amount of money to even try it, probably won't happen. But for just video output might be worth it over vga per the sellers comments vga works. I can't imagine why he would specifically mention the usb-hdmi adapter unless it worked, if I decide to try it I'd ask specifically if it did output both audio and video.

3. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    if think your best bet is to enable optimus in order to get external video output, I don't really remember if there is settings that can disable optimus but still enable the iGP for external monitor.. like I managed when I was running eDP + LVDS display in dual screen at the same time, eDP was driven by the P4000 and LVDS by the HD4000 (P4000 can't output LVDS signal).

4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    That goes without saying, I always use optimus when it's supported, it's better for heat, fans/noise and the whole computer. I have not found a barebones m6700 or m6800 so far that meets my requirements so it may be a while before any of this gets attempted if at all.

5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    "Yes the USB to HDMI is going to be a great work around to this side affect, it will give sound/video output. Its a good card, I get a passmark score using v 9.0 of around 7300."

Sellers response so who knows. I did finally get an m6700 on ebay with a 3940xm, 32gb ram, charger, k4000m(ugh). Was really looking for a 3740/3840qm for not much less perf but less heat and a k5000m but I'll take it for 412$ total lol. So I may be trying the tesla later on after I get this and see that it's in proper order.

6. Camron.Callantine

Camron.Callantine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could I trouble you for a copy of the rom on your quadro rtx 3000? I bought 2 for cheap because someone tried flashing a 20 series bios onto them but I managed to pull them out of the brick pile. Only downside is that the dell bios will not show the memory capacity or memory type.

7. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
  8. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wut, you mean setting UEFI variables with a UEFI shell or...?

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    yes that's the idea