The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 : Nvidia Turing (RTX) card discussion thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by TheQuentincc, Jun 4, 2020.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also, can you confirm it works with UEFI only ? did you order the eDP cable ?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was thinking that the old screw hole could just be covered with electrical tape to prevent a short circuit. I think that one of the two support screw holes was just a plastic support that might have to be cut off? A plastic stand-off could be used on one of the new screw holes (not the ones by the core) to keep it appropriately spaced from the motherboard (heatsink pressing down should do the rest). Drilling holes in the heatsink is the trickiest part to get right (for me) I think. Fortunately the heatsinks don't cost that much. I'll buy an extra one to try it out with.

Interested in seeing pictures of @razor0601's "solution" when it is ready. Also want to make sure that the GPU temperature remains under control even though the copper plate is a bit offset from the GPU die. (Seems like it's just a small amount off... should be fine?)

Oh, I am also interested to know if it works with UEFI (with legacy option ROMs on or not, doesn't matter). Just to the point of booting an OS without crashing would be fine. You could just boot Windows install media.

3. razor0601

razor0601 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    with the „rubber cube“ is a good idea. I try to cool everything what produces much heat.
    Yeah, the cards are not cheap

4. razor0601

Reputations:
    I don’t know that at the moment.

5. razor0601

Reputations:
    Do I have to change it only in Bios to UEFI?
    Yes, 2 days ago I got the EDP cable.

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Well electrical tape works fine, but you never know what is happening when you are travelling with your laptop, for me both screw hole are made in metal.
    But yeah your right, the idea is to use something that stick to the motherboard where you can screw into it.
    Even with the offset it should be fine, it's a sub 80w card.
    For the vram you could use a system like that to tranfer heat, using a copper sheet and different size of thermal pads
    M6700 RTX.png

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, switch from legacy boot to UEFI. Your Windows install will not boot (it will when you switch back) but you could boot a some other media. I’m mostly interested that it doesn’t crash. Pascal cards would die early in the boot process.

8. razor0601

Reputations:
    I have thick thermal pads. Maybe that’s enough

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    yes but the heatsink only cover partly vram chip, right ?

Also I think you have an early stage vbios, all the other vbios of RTX3000 start with "90.06.39" while yours start with "90.06.26", so be carefull for those who wants to try the RTX4000 or 5000..

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  10. razor0601

Reputations:
    So an earlier VBios is better?