The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is easy from Vista up, but my note was assuming he was going to try this with XP... at this point in the install everything is still text-based, and I don't think it gives you a choice to install drivers from anything except a floppy drive. (Who knows, been a long time since I had to do that.)

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    You and me both, though you might be able to point it to the right drive letter even if it isn't on a floppy. The SATA drivers definitely need to be added though, XP didn't have those initially.

3. EDWARD1976

EDWARD1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information.

I followed the steps as in the link ,

"In the registry navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > ENUM

Now Delete the entire ENUM registry key.

Shut Down this Computer

Transfer Hard Drive to New computer and then turn on."

The same blue screen still appears with the same error codes.

The ram installed in my M6700 is 1 piece of 8GB. As I know, xp can only use about 3.25-3.50 GB of RAM, is this the cause of the blue screen?

4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, only now did I actually look at your BSOD image - it mentions fanio.sys which is perhaps some fan driver either Dell or 3rd party?

You need to uninstall the driver/application which installs it or at least run msconfig and disable it at startup. I suppose this is why your Windows load up but then when they try to load this driver, it causes a BSOD because it is not supported on M6700.

5. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Shouldn't be the issue here. Windows will just use the first 4 GB on the RAM and that's it.

6. EDWARD1976

EDWARD1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your advice, The blue screen was caused by the i8kfan driver on the start up. I installed this stuff in my M1710 to control the fan speed as this machine is really so hot. When I copied the hard drive to the M6300, this driver also worked, but I don't know it can't work on the M6700.

I uninstalled the i8kfan before moving the hard drive from M6300 to M6700, it start up well, and no blue screen again. Then installed some drivers, updated the bios .... It looks "normal" now.

Thanks again.:)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No worries, glad it worked out.

i8kfan sounds familiar; perhaps I wanted to use it on my M6400, but can't remember if it was supported - probably not as I remember using that hidden Dell engineering menu where you could set the fan speed manually. The problem was that the DP connection was putting the Nvidia Quadro FX3700M card into some higher power state IIRC so I was also using the Nvidia Inspector power saver to force it into the lowest state. Later upgraded to ATI M7820 which ran faster and much cooler and I never noticed such fan issues.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. amboscoboinik

amboscoboinik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys, do you know about a directx compatible with quadro k5000m around there?

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Wait, what? The K5000m is compatible with DX11 and prior, just like other GPU if the same generation. If you are having issues with direct x, then either the program you are using is the problem of your binaries have been corrupted. There are links to manually install it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/179113. If you are wondering about this because some program you install also wants to install directx, the program in question will actually just run the directx installer. The installer will check whether the version installed on your computer is older and if it is not, then it will just proceed to close itself without installing anything, otherwise, it will update to whatever version is bundled.

DirectX is a Microsoft API that is bundled with Windows, it should already be there even on a clean install and should keep up to date with the latest version available for your version of Windows through Windows Update.

10. amboscoboinik

amboscoboinik Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply, I was just needing a *.dll. I was trying to test how behaves the k5000m running video games and I got a missing dll error. So, I just reinstalled a copy of directx which has the missing *.dll. And I was able to successfully run the game. Anyways thanks for the link and the support. Have a great weekend. Bests