The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. EDWARD1976

EDWARD1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Tijo for the suggestion of using VMware for XP mode in win 7. Several months ago, when I decided to buy a new laptop, I saw the latest model of Dell Precision Series is M6800, which does not support XP as I didn't see any XP drivers on their website. As my computer knowledge is not good, I didn't know anything about VMware before joining this forum. There are some old video games in my M6300 which cannot run in win7, so I need a laptop which still can support XP.

I think the M6700 is the latest Precision model which can support XP, so I bought one and installed xp .

The good thing is , this laptop has 3 harddisk bays, I can install win7 to another disk to run later.

Thanks for your help.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    First thing to check is if the software not working is due to the 16-bit restrictions on 64-bit Windows 7. In that case, 32-bit windows 7 would work as it still has 16-bit support. Otherwise, VM Ware is your best bet, you get to run stuff using XP without running the security risks of having XP connected to the Internet.

If the games are old enough to want to run on XP, the performance hit from running them in a VM should be negligible.

3. gannjunior

gannjunior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @tijo and who would like to help me

From 30 dec. 2015 I have problems with my M6700, after many interventions that make my M6700 worst than the first time I contacted Dell, they propose me to replace my M6700 for a M6800 a couple of days ago.

But I rejected the offer because of the monitor: my M6700 has 10bit IPS panel with 100% adobe RGB gamut.
    While in M6800 that panel was discontinued. And M6800, like the 1080p of new 7710 panels, covers 72% adobe RGB gamut.

Since the replace needs to guarantee a product "like" the previous or, if something is missing, a better one. And the IGZO 4k of 7710 is the only panel today where they declare 100% adobe RGB gamut. I highlighted the above reasoning and now I'm waiting for.

Do you think they will accept my objection ? Any suggestion?

Thanks
    ciao

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    You have a good argument, but they may still say not. Stress that the 100% aRGB gamut is important to your work, that should help. By the way, IIRC, the IGZO panels are still 8-bit, but they do indeed cover the full aRGB gamut.

ALLurGroceries and gannjunior like this.
  5. gannjunior

Reputations:
    Thank you for your support mate.
    There is also a couple of facts: the inconvenience in 1 month and half is just unsolved. (they did the first intervention only 3 weeks later my first warning) and my M6700, after their interventions, became worse than before....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. gannjunior

Reputations:
    @tijo
    they accepted my argument !!
    they are proposing me 7710 + IGZO !

I'd like to customize it by payment. they are proposing me it M300M. (i use it for Lightroom, photoshop and rarely for some 4k video editing). I keep this or may I expand to M4000M or move to W7170 Ati ?

thanks!

7. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Awesome news. The M3000M will be an upgrade over what you currently have (K3000M) so I'd personally say go for it. As a side note, you might want to end up running the 4K display at 1920x1080 is the scaling isn't that good. Let us know how it calibrates, the one in my XPS hits 100% aRGB, 100% sRGB obviously and something like 99% NTSC. From what I've read too, it seems the new Quadros do better at compute than the previous generation did which is great news (AMD cards used to destroy nVidia in OpenCL performance, not anymore). Overall, my experience has been better with nVidia drivers, but I haven't had issues with AMD either, just less frequent updates. I would say, look at what is recommended for your software and go from there.

If any of the software you use has CUDA compatibility and you want to make use of it, go nVidia as it's a nVidia only thing. OpenCL works with both.

8. gannjunior

Reputations:
    @tijo
    Thanks for your answer, perfectly clear. And of course I will update you when I will have the machine and I will calibrate the monitor!

In the meantime the dell contact is following me says "to this kind of offer it's not possibile to add anything through payment"
    I would say ok, does not matter, except for the thunderbolt base.... :(((
    anyway I have to accept but but but..what do you think? :(((

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  9. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    They're already being generous, and have made it clear you have little choice/option to customize. Accept the generous offer would be my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ygohome likes this.
  10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Definitely accept it. You can buy the Thunderbolt dock separately or you can use an existing docking station, the 7710 has the standard docking port as well.