The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Links to M6700 Info Threads:
    Early Info and Speculation Thread -
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...l-precision-m4700-m6700-preliminary-info.html

Owner's Review of M6700 by Bokeh -
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...79326-dell-precision-m6700-owners-review.html

Important Info and Links Will Go Here:

M6700 Info from the Dell Website:

The Dell™ Precision™ M6700 is the world’s most powerful 17" mobile workstation, with the performance, battery life and storage for demanding work environments.

Optimize your mobile productivity.
    Achieve outstanding productivity with 3rd Generation Intel® Core i5 and i7 dual- or quad-core processor options up to Extreme Edition and up to Windows® 7 Ultimate.

• Push the limits of processing power with 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 and i7 dual- or quad-core processor options, including Extreme Edition.
    • Get the latest productivity tools with up to Windows® 7 Ultimate
    • Power users will benefit from Intel® i7 features such as Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 for increased processor performance when needed, and Hyper-Threading Technology to enable multiple threads to run on each core.

Tackle graphics-intensive tasks.
    Handle 3D modeling and other graphics-intensive jobs with next-gen AMD® or NVIDIA® graphics options, and take in the view with support for up to five displays when docked.
    Whether you’re a digital artist or an engineer working with complex graphics elements, you’ll benefit from the Dell Precision M6700’s graphics options.

• AMD and NVIDIA graphics options enable you to run high-end graphics demands for all of your professional needs, from graphics rendering to modeling complex simulations.
    • Run complicated, high-demand video projects smoothly with up to 4GB1 of dedicated video memory.
    • Transfer computational demands from the CPU to the GPU. NVIDIA graphics options enable up to 1344 CUDA cores.
    • Dock your system and enjoy a lager view of your work with up to five displays (four external displays plus system display)².
    • Enable fast data throughput and outstanding graphics performance with professional-grade AMD FirePro graphics with PCIx x16 Gen 3 access.

1 GB means 1 billion bytes and TB equals 1 trillion bytes; significant system memory may be used to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

² Five display capability requires an AMD graphics solution. To enable three or more monitors additional adapters/dongles may be required.

Run high-demand applications.
    Run your professional applications and crunch large amounts of data with up to 32GB1 of system memory and up to DDR3 1866MHz memory bandwidth. From those with large-scale financial tasks to oil and gas experts working out in the field, excellent memory in a mobile workstation is a must.

• Enjoy the speed, performance and the freedom to run multiple applications at the same time. The Dell Precision M6700 offers up to 32GB1 of system memory for those working with large data sets.
    • Run your professional software quickly and smoothly with DDR3 options from 1600MHz up to 1866MHz.
    Four DIMM slots enable you to operate high-memory configurations without breaking the budget.

Dependable performance and sturdy construction.
    Critical applications will run smoothly with Independent Software Vendor (ISV) certification for many professional applications. Plus, Mil-spec 810G testing ensures that your Dell Precision M6700 can handle tough work environments.

• Rest assured that your specialized professional software applications will run smoothly. The Dell Precision M6700 is ISV-certified for a wide range of professional software.
    • Durability comes standard. The Dell Precision M6700 features aluminum alloy and magnesium alloy construction and has been subjected to Mil Spec 810G testing – the same test methodology used by the U.S. military – to ensure durability you can rely on.
    • Keep it cool and make it last. Quiet-running dual fans—one for the CPU and one for the GPU—help increase component longevity and extend battery life.
    • Help make the right decision for the environment without sacrificing performance or durability. The new Precision M6700 is with 100% BFR/PVC free1, ENERGY STAR 5.2 qualified and EPEAT registered1 to offer you our most environmentally responsible mobile Dell Precision product yet.

Secure your data and help ensure smooth operation.

Help protect data on hard drives and removable media across your network through encryption and strong authentication.

• Simplify end-point data security with a single solution designed for system disks and removable media.
    • Monitor client security remotely.
    • Ease compliance management and auditing with features including one touch-compliance policy templates, remote management and quick system recovery.
    • Deny access to unauthorized users in the event of loss or theft.
    • Manage and compartmentalize your data while securing it from unwanted access. Those with multiple clients or those who need to archive storage devices will appreciate easy eject feature, enabling you to quickly remove your hard drive and swap it with another or store it for security.
    • Help prevent data loss from accidental system drops with the integrated Fast Response Free Fall Sensor.

Stay charged and stay productive.
    Long battery life helps keep you up and running while you’re out in the field, and with the option to add additional battery capacity and to enable even faster charge cycles, your mobile workstation won’t quit until the job is done.

• Extend battery life even further with an optional battery slice module.
    • NVIDIA® Optimus™ helps optimize your workstation’s performance and extend battery life by automatically switching the graphics load to the Intel-integrated HD4000 graphics processor when only light graphic demands are placed on the system.
    • In the event that your battery ever suffers reduced performance, Dell offers a 3-year battery replacement option.
    • Charge your battery more quickly. The optional ExpressCharge feature, available on select batteries, can charge your battery up to 80% in about 60 minutes so you can get back to work.

Store more with spacious hard drives.
    Big jobs require big storage, and the Dell Precision M6700 offers hard drive space to spare, with up to three hard drives (HDD) or solid state drives (SSD), minicard and RAID options, plus the flexibility to add even more storage with an optional optical bay module.

• Enjoy spacious storage capability with dual HDDs or SSDs (up to 1TB1 HD and up to 512GB1 SSD).
    • Optional SSD minicard up to 256GB1 allows for OS and application storage, fast read/write performance and easy swapping of data drives.
    • RAID options including RAID 0, 1, and 5 offer the security and performance of redundant disks.
    • Keep pace with your growing storage needs. An optional optical bay module enables you to add additional storage for a total of four storage devices.

Outstanding design features for your business.
    Experience versatile, professional viewing with NVIDIA 3D Vision™ Pro or IPS RGB LED high-color display options. Easily connect your devices with wide docking compatibility.

• Enjoy vibrant, accurate color and a wide viewing angle with an IPS RGB LED high-color display option. PremierColor technology delivers color depth of over 1 billion colors and 110% color gamut (typical).
    • Enjoy convenient connections for your devices with e-family docking.
    • PremierColor Display calibration software enables easy adjustment of display color.
    • Appreciate added versatility with design features that include a keyboard with integrated number pad and optional backlighting.

Go even further with the Covet Edition.
    Enjoy the special features and stunning visual appeal of the upcoming M6700 mobile workstation Covet Edition.

• Look sharp with the Covet Edition’s brilliant Phoenix Red signature color.
    • Give your display the added protection of edge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Mine just arrived at the office.

I'm going to unbox it and mess with it a little (can't resist) but I won't get a chance to really dig in until after work. I'll post some initial impressions and perhaps a few photos this evening. (Bokeh did a really good job with the photos already though.)

Given the timing, I'm planning on going ahead and loading Windows 8 on it if there are no blocking issues with getting the hardware/drivers working. I don't have a Windows 8 image until next week, though, so I'll wait until then to switch to this as my primary machine. Maybe I'll use the release preview to do a trial run this weekend and see how everything works.

3. Dirtnap

Dirtnap Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, finally a M6700 owners thread.

4. Dirtnap

Reputations:
  5. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    Aaron44126,Boken or any m6700 owners, are you going to make an unboxing video?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry, already unboxed. :p

The box wasn't too exciting. There were two smaller boxes inside. One contained the power supply, recovery DVDs, literature, etc. and one contained the actual laptop, padded with styrofoam placeholders.

Anyway, an un-fun part. The screw holding in the hard drive eject latch is super, super tight. I can't get it out with a screwdriver (afraid to try anymore, lest I strip it). Any ideas?
    [Edit] - Got it — tough work but the screw is ruined, not putting it back :p

I bought mine with one hard drive. It does come with the screws you need to install the second drive. They are in the four screw holes that attach to nothing right next to where the hard drive tray is.

Other than that, everything seems great. I installed my memory and SSD without any issue, the laptop boots and runs quietly, the screen seems nice. Yet to do too much with it.

7. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can recreate it if no one else posts one.

To be honest, the day it arrived I was waiting at Fed Ex at 9:00am waiting for them to give it to me. Could not wait for the usual 11-3 delivery time.

When I unboxed it, I spent a lot of time just going over it, tearing it down, poking around. There were just so many little refinements. So many little changes. I pretty much geeked the hell out over it.

Stopping to shoot a video was the last thing on my mind.

8. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    ha ha ha, I understand.

9. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    Hey, Aaron44126,Boken or any m6700 owners, is the m6700 keyboard/trackpad/touchpad better than or the same as the m6600?

10. Dirtnap

Reputations:
    Is the M6700, 17.3" Premium, UltraSharp FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS RGB LED Display 210 nits with a Contrast Ratio of 550:1?