The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. EDWARD1976

EDWARD1976 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your stuff, how can I install it in my system to make it work?

Turgay Ogus likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Look up the tool nvflash, it can be used to flash the vBIOS.
    (You can look at tutorials or YouTube videos to see how to use it.)

3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, I will be new to the precision M6700 in few days, mine comes with a 1600*900 screen (LVDS I suppose) and an Quadro K4000M, the thing I wanted to know is it any screen upgrading ? I planed first to swap my 1080p screen (not IPS one) from my Inspiron 17R 7720 SE but I wonder if the M6700 can handle QHD or UHD (or even 120Hz one) edp screen, since I didn't find somebody that tried and I couldn't find how many eDP lane has the M6700, I'm here for asking you guys :)
    Also I want to know if modded bios exist for this model, at least to have more control on the CPU (like thermal/power adjustment) then to control easily the BCLK or the voltage (with XTU for example) and to overclock the DDR3. Secondly I want to know if I need modded vbios to overclock my K4000M ?
    And for those wondered if this laptop support 64Gb, it doesn't because the first memory controller (IMC) on intel mobile to support 16Gb stick comes with 5 gen broadwell ;)
    Thanks a lot everyone

4. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Yeah that's what I'm looking for the modded bios, to get the TDP unlock and the 400MHz overclock I wanted :)
    I digged a little more and found that Pascal gpu upgrade for the M6700 is only available for the IPS (eDP screen) one ? But in other thread they said that pascal cannot work even if an IPS screen is fitted

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Fitting in a 1080p display should be fine. Forget about that unless you are using eDP. It doesn't use "regular" straight eDP that modern systems use, the IPS eDP display that came in these systems also came with an interposer board... I have no idea what it would take to get a regular eDP screen to work.

For Pascal, the only hard success story we have is using the Quadro P5000 with a very specific, early engineering sample vBIOS. Production vBIOS are all causing failure at boot with Pascal. (Also, if you have a LVDS display then you will have to operate with Optimus enabled with a Pascal GPU.)

No go for 64GB RAM. 32GB is the max.

You can overclock the K4000M without a modded vBIOS but only a little bit. A modded vBIOS is needed to get any sort of substantial overclock. Fortunately, these are easy to come by or even produce on your own.

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Okay, and do you know if there is any schematics/pinout for this specific eDP port that have the M6700 ? Maybe it is just a proprietary one that need to be modded :)
    Do you have some picture/part number for the interposer board ? I read that eDP is directly connected to the mxm card and the LVDS to the iGP, is that true ? if true that mean we need to disable optimus when we are using eDP screen ?
    I found an GTX980M 4GB mxm (MSI one : MS-1W0J1 VER 1.0) for around 200€ (in europe these are so expensive), but I wonder if every 980m mxm will work on the M6700 ? or they need to have a compatible vbios ?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  7. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The eDP port is connected only to the MXM card. If you have a display connected to the eDP port, the Optimus option is not even shown in the BIOS, it is not available.

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Okay thanks, what about the gpu upgrade, is all vbios brand are compatible with the M6700?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    All vBIOS except for HP seem to work OK...
    (Trickier if you try to install a Pascal card.)