The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Remove the gpu, as it should work fine without it.

If that doesn't change behavior then maybe the motherboard just gave out if the system can't self diagnose.

It's what I would do though others may have more insight than I.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Most agree with @TheReciever.

1. Remove all of the removable parts that you can so you can take them out of the "what is broken?" question. (Drives, GPU, even go down to just one RAM chip if you like.) If you get to the point when you can consistently get to the BIOS and diagnostics screens, start adding stuff back one at a time.

2. If I had to guess from the symptoms that you listed, I'd say that the motherboard needs to be replaced.

3. askoleg

askoleg Newbie

Reputations:
    @TheReciever, @Aaron44126

Thank you for your advice. In fact, I was thinking along the same lines and did the "remove-and-replace" exercise first of all. The only thing I haven't tried was removing the GPU. Will try that tonight.
    I played with the RAM modules, re-seating all four in every possible combination possible. As I mentioned, the test correctly recognizes the total absence of memory. Otherwise, it stays indifferent to any other combination of RAM modules. I also tried removing all the three SSDs. No change in output.

So, I used a different keyboard and then, a different motherboard. Everything stays exactly the same.
    It appears that the new mobo (which is not new, to be fair, it is refurbished) has exactly the same issue as the old one. Which, I now tend to believe, has something to do with EEPROM failure.

So, I tried to flash the BIOS. But no recovery option worked for me (I tried extracting the HDR file from BIOS' EXE file and then feeding it to the machine at POST, also, booting under FreeDOS and then feeding the EXE file itself to the machine at POST).

I failed miserably. It reads the USB drive but refuses to either pick up the HDR file or boot under FreeDOS. No key combination works (I tried Ctrl-Esc, End, and Win-B with either connected or disconnected CMOS battery).

Given that flashrom.org strongly discourages trying to flash a laptop bios, I don't see any other options left before I send the machine to the repairs.

Any other ideas?

4. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No. Quadro P5000 has 16GB vRAM and GTX 1070 has 8GB. No way this can work.
    As for GTX 1070 there are few even earlier ES vBIOS, which might give brightness control. I just don't have time yet to try that out. Got almost all the stuffs needed already.
    A Quadro P5000 vBIOS might work on P5200 though, with full cores. check that guys GTX 980m full core upgrade.

5. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    I'm so glad that my work back in 2014 is still being remembered :p
    Though I won't take credits for that. @el-sahef did the QC mod, Leokim did the 1066 Mhz upgrade first but he didn't shared any details. I
    check win-raid forum. It's a complicated mod.

6. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    That is weird. I did not have problem with my Quadro P5000m using HTC vive via that HDMI port.

The really sad story is about Clevo P150em, basically they cut corners on materials and it is not capable of output the spec required.

7. TPGRENIER

TPGRENIER Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello there, My apologize if this is not the properly way to post my issue : I have a M6700 with 16GB DDR3 and Quadro K3100M (4gb) I have in stock one video card Quadro P5000 and would like to install this card on this laptop. In the past, I did a test with the P5000 card at my M6700 and it stuck at logo Dell -

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to make it work on this computer? Thanks.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
  9. TPGRENIER

TPGRENIER Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are the guy, tks. I really really want to do this upgrade. Do you have any step-by-step instructions on how to edit the .INF file? with the properly file for Quadro P5000 ? I'm a little lay on this subject, it takes some software to rewrite this file? Is easy to do ?

* I have one Precision 7720 to do this job.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Assuming you are running with Optimus ON (not IPS display), open nvdmwi.inf (drivers from NVIDIA) or nvdm.inf (drivers from Dell). Find:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB6&SUBSYS_07B11028
    Replace with:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB6&SUBSYS_153F1028
    (all occurrences)

That is all you have to do.
    Well, you will have to install the driver with Windows test signing mode on, or with "disable driver signature enforcement" turned on. I imagine that you already had to deal with this for the K3100M.

For flashing the card, the vBIOS that you need is here and directions for flashing under Linux are here.