The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On maxwell (or later) GPU you need to leave graphics swtiching online on the Dell precision. If you disable optimus you only get a black screen, unless you have edp screen.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not quite. I have personally used LVDS + Quadro M5000M with graphics switching disabled in the Precision M6700. (I do not have that card in there anymore.) It is Pascal and later that doesn't work with LVDS.

3. johnbb

Reputations:
    I tried a few quadro m3000m and m4000m and whenever I disabled graphics switching, I got black screen. I assumed so... glad I was wrong!

4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sometime it works better in UEFI only than in UEFI + legacy mode.. for instance a P4000 on M6700 took about 2 min to display something in UEFI + legacy and less than a second using UEFI only

5. johnbb

Reputations:
    Good to know that.
    Merci pour l'info Quentin ;)

6. Limari83

Limari83 Newbie

Reputations:

hello DynamiteZerg, I apologize if I write to you so maybe in a forum I should have introduced myself but I have not found any post in the home that told me so, in this case if I'm wrong I apologize.

I read that you managed to put the P5000m on your dell precision M6800, i wanted to know do you still have that notebook ?? if it still works fine with the p5000m did it have any problems after installation?

I ask you because I found on the internet a P5000m at a good price, and I would like to follow your example to insert it in my M6800, I have an M6800, LVDS with touchscreen, Intel 4900mq CPU, 16GB ram, 2TB hard disk, windows 10 20h1, I have a K5100m as a video card.

unfortunately I can't find the modified heatsink with the whole copper bar, it seems they don't make any more, by the way do you have any idea how I could modify it to best dissipate the P5000m ??

but my concern is to know if with the features of my M6800 laptop i can put the p5000m and if it gave you post flash vbios problems,

ahhh linux you only used it for flash vbios with nvflash, then you booted with windows and it worked ??

infinite thanks if you can answer me

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The details are all further up in this thread. P5000 works in Precision M6800 running Windows, with a vBIOS flash (done from Linux). A few different users here have done it. With LVDS, you will have to run with graphics switching / Optimus enabled at all times. (P5000 does not natively support LVDS, so outputting through the Intel GPU is required.) The heatsink (mod) needed is the same as if you were to install a Maxwell GPU (i.e. Quadro M5000M or GeForce 980M). If you can't find a NVIDIA/M6800 heatsink the flat surface then you will have to use a Dremel tool or similar to cut off the bit that hits the VRMs on the card.

8. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can someone simply answer what the highest end GPU is that can be put into a m6800 thats mostly plug and play? I dont mind editing ini files and what not but I really dont want to mess with any physical modifications. Like dremeling / sanding stuff down etc.

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, any NVIDIA GPU upgrade (beyond K5100M) will require a heatsink mod. There is just one little piece that has to be cut off to make the surface "flat".

10. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    oh okay, well I could prob deal with something like that. If you perform this mod, how far can you go in terms of a gpu upgrade?