The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude 7400 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by neotechpc, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Interesting. The 7400 clamshell is launching with 7th gen dual cores in the mix?

Also, the 5000 series seems to have made no forward progress. Same old low brightness screens, AMD 540X, now with that silly rear hinge, too (at least it wasn't a drop hinge).

2. neotechpc

neotechpc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Both 7400 and 7400 2-in-1 now seem to be reasonably live and list i7-8665U options (quad core).

I neither really care about the 2-in-1 tablet features nor touch, but even as a laptop the 2-in-1 seems like it may be the better option. It is substantially physically smaller, and has a much larger battery. Only downside I see is the 16gb max RAM vs 32gb max...

3. mvalpreda

mvalpreda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only one you can configure through Dell Premier is the 2-in-1. More interested in the 7400 - not the 2-in-1.....but extra battery. Damn it.....

Edit: You can only get the 78Whr battery with no fingerprint/smartcard. Too bad.
    Edit2: Just kidding, you can configure the 7400 as well. Just had to start with a lower model.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. NobodyAround

NobodyAround Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the 7400 comes with 2 major differences:
    - 1 less usb port
    - No RJ-45

How much space did Dell gained by that?

5. mvalpreda

Reputations:
    I ordered my Latitude 7400 last week and it will be here tomorrow. Not sure if I will miss the RJ45 port, but I do have the Dell DA200 which does USB-C to VGA/HDMI/LAN/USB3.0....that and I am usually docked or in a meeting.....so probably won't miss it.

i5-8365, Windows 10 Pro, 8GB, 128GB SSD, FHD SLP screen with IR camera, fingerprint, backlit keyboard, Intel 9560 with Bluetooth, 4 cell battery, ProSupport - $1600 at my door.
    Looking forward to all the carbon fiber - they call that out a lot on the parts. Really looking forward to a better fingerprint reader. The ones on the Latitudes have always been meh. Have an XPS and that fingerprint is lightning fast - think this is the same type being in the power button.
    Going to add more RAM and replace the SSD with a 512GB PM981 or 512GB 960 Pro. Just can't see paying the crazy Dell prices on those upgrades.

6. NobodyAround

Reputations:
    @mvalpreda,
    can you give us a hint about battery under some normal conditions on wifi and birghtness?

7. mvalpreda

Reputations:
    Can do once I get it. Out for delivery today. I'll get it loaded up with everything and then just do some normal day-to-day tasks on it. Hoping it is similar to my 7490, where I get 7-9 hours on a charge.

8. mvalpreda

Reputations:
    Been using a 7400 (not 2-in-1) for about 48 hours now and I'm not blown away. I know the specs are not that much higher than what I had, so I wasn't expecting a major performance jump - was just looking forward to a little smaller form factor and some updated components.

Good
    • It's small. Like I feel about as small as a 14" laptop can reasonably get. The bezel on the screen is really narrow making it look more like the XPS series machines. Same thickness as the 7490
    • The Windows Hello camera is very fast - much faster than the 7490.
    • The fingerprint reader is much better (integrated in the power button) and much faster and more reliable than the 7490 - but I am having issues with the fingerprint reader working after coming out of sleep. It always works if I hibernate.
    • The build quality is solid - really solid. Looks really cool in carbon fiber.
    Bad
    • It's running warm and the fan appears to be on - albeit very low - all the time. I'm in a quiet office and I can hear it just faintly. Where my left hand rests, I can feel heat. It's right over the SSD, so I might try a different one. My 7490 had a Samsung 960 Pro, so I might swap. I don't have a lot open - Outlook, RemoteDesktopManger (8-10 RDP sessions), OneNote, Firefox, Chrome, Edge Canary. CPU is 5-15%
    • Screen at full brightness is not super bright - might be some power settings in the BIOS though. Turned off auto-brightness in Control Panel and it helped a little, but even at 100% I feel like the 7490 is brighter.
    Indifferent
    • While the keyboard feels great, I miss having the HOME and END keys on the left and right arrows.
    • Small form factor means no pointing stick and no three buttons - I used the middle button, but just set a 3-finger tap as a middle-click.
    • One less USB 3.0 port - but can't recall the last time I had more than 2 USB devices plugged in at the same time
    • No RJ45 jack - hasn't been an issue in the 2 days I have used it.....but certainly may when I'm up on a scissor lift plugging into an IDF switch!

I'm going to give it another couple of days where I use it away from power/dock and see how I like it. If I cannot get the heat and fan under control, it will be the reason it goes back.

EDIT - May have a throttling issue with the CPU/OS. CPU is constantly over 2Ghz. Would expect to see it dip to <1Ghz when idle....
    EDIT2 - Balanced power plan won't throttle down. Even when exported from a machine where it works fine. Power Saver plan does throttle down and the fan goes off. Thinking it might be a BIOS issue.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    NobodyAround likes this.
  9. NobodyAround

Reputations:
    Thank you,
    can you take some photos with the 7400 being over 7490? I guess in weight they are almost equal. Do you have the aluminum 7490? Is there much better in carbon fiber?

10. mvalpreda

Reputations:
    I wound up doing a backup and rebuilt the machine and didn't install a single Dell driver. 95% of it was working with the Dell 1809 image and the rest came down after connecting to the internet. So....no Dell drivers installed and everything works - even IR camera and fingerprint. Copying a bunch of files from a Veeam Agent file restore and the CPU is at ~20% and throttled at ~1.3Ghz on balanced power. Before I was copying it was <1Ghz and 1% CPU......no fan noise.
    So.....maybe there is a crappy Dell driver in there. Going to see how long I can go without installing any other drivers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.