The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude 7400 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by neotechpc, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirdguy

weirdguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great review!

I'm also considering to upgrade from my aging E7240 to the recent Dell Latitude line-up.

7400 2 in 1, is in my Comparison List. It is also the most expensive, compare to the rest like 7300, 7400. Also, surprisingly for the first time - I also find the 5000 series like 5300, 5300 2 in 1 and 5400 quite interesting too.

I think, I would be consideraing the 5000 series this time. There is RJ45 built-in.

If anyone seen/read about any of the 5000 series, do share. I haven't manage to find them from my search.

2. mvalpreda

mvalpreda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still really on the fence on this machine. If I was coming from a 7470 or 7480, I think it would be a much easier decision....but since I am coming from a 7490, this doesn't feel worth a $1600 spend.

3. NobodyAround

NobodyAround Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @mvalpreda: Can you give us some photos between the 7490 and 7400? Also do you have the aluminum 7490?

4. mvalpreda

Reputations:
  5. mvalpreda

Reputations:
  6. sesshomaru

sesshomaru Suspended Disbelief!

Reputations:
    Has anybody received the 2-in-1 yet? It ticks a lot of boxes for me. Downsides (on paper) are the slightly dim and glossy screen.
    Deal Breaker is the 16GB RAM limit. I'm hoping that this is more of a cost issue and issue of DIMM availability, rather than a hardware limitation. Would be grateful if someone could confirm if a 32GB module works.

7. trueg50

trueg50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's hard to find info about the 5000 series. I had a notepad file of gathered info about the 5000 series, but since I already bought a replacement laptop months ago, I have since lost the file.

I remember some bits:
    • 5000 series now uses destructible plastic clips to retain the bottom panel.
    • Just like it was when I was buying my E5450 (the last gen where the 5000 and 7000 series were somewhat closer together), the Nvidia dGPU option is really hard to find.
    • There is no TB3 model. It's a lie (marketing may have finally removed that claim, but it's been present since the 5470, and that never had it, either - maybe it's like the dGPU, basically impossible to find without great luck).
    • The screen quality isn't horrible, but it is noticeably worse than older models. AFAIK, the bifurcation happened after the E5450/E7450 series. The 5000 series retained the GPU option, but got worse displays. The 7000 retained the better displays, but lost the dGPU option.
    • AFAIK, the second M.2 slot (for the WWAN card) is no longer wired or setup for SSD use. Not that many 2242 M.2 SSDs even exist, nowadays.

9. NobodyAround

NobodyAround Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to see a review about the non convertible edition.

10. weirdguy

weirdguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Me too.
    I hope there is a better cooling for this version.

I do not think, I wish to compromise on Cooling vs Thinness because my environment could be quite warm all year round and I wouldn't want a warm palm. The reason I prefer this Gen of Latitude, is the standardized narrow bezel. In previous Gen, Narrow Bezel, Thunderbolt 3 and USB C Charging are optional and confusing.

Great share of the Review.
    Too bad, without Anti-Glare option - I would just move on to others.

Months ago?
    I thought the New 5000 series is only known by end of April.
    • I mainly use it for non-GPU intensive work task so I do not think I should have any concern with basic integrated GPU.
    • I am using aging 7240. Yikes, its display isn't good and brightness especially outdoor is hand down by far. Hence, the new 5000 probably wouldn't be this bad, right? Owner here stated his 7400 2 in 1 brightness fell below his expectation.
    • Dell 5300 stated: Ultimate views: The display is packed with features designed to keep you focused on your work, like the four-sided narrow bezel, antiglare screen and 300 nit/sRGB resolution on the Full HD option. (Source)
    • Hence, should be that bad right?
    • Anyway, just realize that there is a new model for 5300. It is called 5301, all with 9th Gen Processor.
    • Is there any feature that is quite valuable to pay for 9th Gen? I see other features more valueable than purely performance because most of works that I used the laptop with - is Excel, Statistic, SQL Script, Browser, Words. Not GPU Intensive at all. Hence, Cooling, Ultralight, Narrow Bezel for maximum viewability within the Width frame and Battery Power is more important for my case.
    • 13" (12" Width) vs 14" (12.7" Width): What would you guys, select? Would you mind the extra 0.7" Width, to go for an inch wider?
    Thanks everyone for your comments

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.