The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. Juhantti

Juhantti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, my understanding is that M6100 is the best GPU which is supported and even with that the Optimus does not work so M6600 uses always this M6100 GPU.

2. blurp76

blurp76 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, a few questions about a GPU upgrade... (again!) I've done my research but I come to a dead end
    Got an M6600 (A18 bios) which came with a Quadro 3000m and decided to upgrade to an hd8970m
    Bought one from aliexpress which arrived without X-Bracket (despite being in the sale pictures), so i bought one en ebay, since they're different. It came without screws, which I realized are different from my heatsink when i dismantled the laptop.
    Orginal bracket:
    [​IMG]

I decided to install it anyway, bending a little the orginal bracket legs, it is not in the 'free space' and is positioned over some smd caps. It doesnt seem it should do much harm, but I would like to put the correct one nevertheless

The system boots fine and the card works well without fiddling with vbios or stuff like that. I noticed however that a GPU Stress Test with Furmark cause the system to shutdown for overheating after a few minutes (error M1004). Playing some games seems to be ok (Lego Batman 3)

I'm using the dell fan control speed utility at maximum setting.

Now, does it even make sense putting the correct X-Bracket? Which are the correct spring-screws to get? M2x6.8? Mine are too big and probably M2.5.
    Or would this kit work?
    [​IMG]

Lastly, anybody knows the correct thermal pads placement and thickness for HD8970M?
    This is the card, at the moment i put 1mm new pads on the memory chips, and kept the original white pads for the mosfets (?). It looks thicker, like 2mm. But i'm really not sure it's the optimal configuration.
    Do the light-blue chips also need pads?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

3. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The blue marked chips are VRM MOSFETs and those definitely need cooling.

4. blurp76

blurp76 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok an update: after a tedious search, i found this Dell part that to my research seems to be the only card officially released for M6600 with the correct X-Bracket to mount on HD8970M: Part 6W46K. FirePro M8900

I'm waiting to receive a faulty card that mounts this bracket. We'll see if it really fits my card

5. Echoa

Echoa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The m8900 bracket is the one you'll want. It works with the 7970m through 4gb 8970m.

This is my thermal pad heights I used for my m290x from memory I added to this image

Attached Files:

6. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    Is it me, or are M6600's with the Quadro 5010M stupidly rare? (as in, M6800 Covet levels of rarity)

7. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That card has a high failure rate and was pretty expensive back then plus it is on occasion bought up by collectors. Bought one last year for $25 as a doa for craps and giggles.

8. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    Really huh, interesting.

9. toastofman

toastofman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just put a FirePro w7170m in my M6600, A15 bios, doesn't show up in bios but validates on GPUZ as a M390x. It is doing great, but I think I messed up my display panel cable because it outputs and functions perfectly with the back-side HDMI port, but the display panel on my M6600 doesn't display any picture. It took some finicking with making spacers to ensure the MXM board wasn't gonna deform a huge amount, but it wasn't terrible. If I can get the display working fine, I think this should be considered as the top end upgrade. It dropped in, I didn't do anything weird with drivers, and it is outputting through the HDMI.

Also, I saw Echoa's post, I'm gonna put some pads on the VRM mosfets and switch some thicknesses around! This card is very similar to his m290x so I'm gonna follow his lead.

10. katmai7

katmai7 Notebook Guru

Reputations: