The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Precision - Tesla M6 & Firepro 6100M - Working/updated/switchable graphics

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Keep Guessing, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That is also my position, but this thread suggests otherwise without evidence of it. I dont want this thread to send people down a line of hope where there is none. The BIOS between the M6600 and the m6700/m6800 are built quite differently...

2. Keep Guessing

Keep Guessing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see what your laying down here :), and I'll see about taking a further look @ the 6600 and swapping the gear out this weekend. I've had some experience on the 6600, but the Tesla's a new toy on the block, and your right, wouldn't do much good if it has a further compatibility issues, and it's been a hot minute since I've played with it (to much crap to do!). Until then I removed it from the heading to be safe, and not steer anyone aground attempting to go mad max on their potato.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I dont think it will work, no one has had much success on the M6600 due to its lackluster BIOS but if it ends up working then a lot of people will be quite happy to upgrade those old platforms.

4. Keep Guessing

Reputations:
    I'll do a few compiles with NVCleanstall tonight, between different driver dates and WHQL/DCH, and subbing in different models for testing this weekend. That should give me time to get in the 4712chip, and be a closer comparison to your stronger gpu, and allow the system to use the 32GB of ram.

Pleasantly pleased thus far though, low temps and fluid frame-rates on high with tinkering around on Borderlands 3, Witcher 3, and No Mans Sky on graphics mode. The compute I'll toy with this weekend.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    supermoth likes this.
  5. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great deal.Never used Nvinstall before.I can run some benchmarks if you wish.I do use a modded driver v442.19 for both of my machines,quite conservative and reliably driver.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  6. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now that we have this thread just devoted to the Tesla,I wonder if we can get experiences from users with usb to hdmi connectors to use i.e a TV as a screen,both for working and for gaming.
    Would it be feasible taking into consideration that the Telsa has no video output possibilities?.Any other options?.

Keep Guessing likes this.
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    USB to HDMI devices do not use the power of the GPU and employ a more software rendering based approach. It would be fine for powering an extra screen for work purposes (mostly static content) but I do not think that it would be a happy situation for someone trying to use the extra screen for gaming.

You could use VGA for video output, as it is also connected to the Intel GPU, and you could then get output from the Tesla card via Optimus (just like with the internal display). Another option would be to get a Precision 7710 system and put the Tesla in there; all of the video output ports on the 7710 can be connected to the Intel GPU so you could get output via Optimus on any of them.

8. Keep Guessing

Reputations:
    Couple of updates here :

The 4712m chip came in today. A massive upgrade to the 4610m, and now the systems reading the full 32. That should be a bit closer to being able to do some benchmarks with your system. The performance increase and utilization of the Tesla is bonkers. I haven't had any games yet that couldn't be run at maximum (Borderlands 3 @ Badass x 1080, Witcher 3 @ Ultra x1080, ect.), and busy/full scene editing in Unity/Unreal engine and Autocad, is snappy.

I had success after laying hands on my EDP cable, with an older ASUS monitor, but before I say it, I also had no output last night attempting a movie on the HDTV plugging in a movie for the kids (I'll do some actual testing this weekend).

On a related note, I've redone 4 driver packages between the DCH/WHQL, and similar card series (GTX 980 (non-M), M5000M, GTX 980m, and another from the same 204 architecture. I'll get to 'em this weekend, and if the Internet's not acting up, may be able to post the packages for simple install.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  9. Keep Guessing

Reputations:
    Quick question, no testing done as of yet, but any possibility of running the Display-ports out forcing render on the HD4600 chipset? That would allow at least basic movies/ect, and limit games, on the DP output? Or, I guess adversely, could always stream to device without to much of an issue, via Bluetooth or wifi.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No... The DisplayPort output is physically connected/wired directly to the dGPU card in this system. If the dGPU card doesn't support display output, then it won't work.

On the M6800 (not M6700), there is an option in the BIOS to have one of the dock DisplayPorts connect to the iGPU. If you have a stationary system then you could just get a PR02X dock and connect a monitor to that.

Keep Guessing likes this.