The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Precision - Tesla M6 & Firepro 6100M - Working/updated/switchable graphics

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Keep Guessing, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you have the graphics switching option in the BIOS then it will "probably" work.
    (M6800 can do graphics switching / Optimus with an eDP display... M6700 cannot.)

2. Kemar

Kemar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok .. will tray again I was getting black screen.. do you think a 65w adapter that I’m using could cause the screen to black ..I don’t have original adapter..

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You need to make sure that you have graphics switching enabled in the BIOS before you try installing the card. It will not work if it is disabled.
    Also ... The machine will not be fun to use with a 65W power adapter, it will throttle to an extreme degree. If you're going to use it then you need to find a 240W adapter.

4. Kemar

Kemar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK I’ve Oder the original 240w adapter but was so excited to upgrade my old m6800 ... all I have is the 65w adapter ..do you think it should at least post on the display..

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yes, I don't think that there's any reason that the display would not work if you have a 65W adapter connected.

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That was not posted. M6800 has more than one configuration.

7. y05h1

y05h1 Newbie

Reputations:
    So would you overall recommend picking the desktop GTX 980 over the M5000M? If so, which template did you use? The first one listed as nvdmi.inf?

8. Keep Guessing

Keep Guessing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd start with the M5000M install driver suggestion, to be safe, if asking install driver variants,
    Afterward, if wanting to push the limits, I'd push the 980GTX Desktop variant.

Card-wise, I'd suggest the Tesla M6 for cost-effectiveness vs. output potential

Mainly because the initial install 204 card values change considerably between the two, and the M5000M, is a safe option for keeping the Tesla M6 working, albeit under-clocked, within system specs.

I'd highly suggest editing for the M5000M as a safe option. This allows a considerably under-clocked laptop experience, without pushing the core clocks above rated levels, and can give a working idea of what the card can do with minimal downside. A key difference in the 980GTX, the the desktop version carries a considerably higher clock speed than the laptop variant. That said, if the core M5000M values aren't giving good results, I'd consider third party OC'ing to core M6 tesla core speeds, to test what the cards initially capable of it proving inadequate with M5000M settings. If that proves inadequate, I'd then suggest the 980GTX Desktop variant a good driver install option, as this will push the clock speed 400mhz inherently beyond the core Tesla M6 speeds, but allow a user, all-friendly, easy install option without tweaking to test it beyond core speeds.

Essentially, the default M5000M speeds, are safe, set-it-and-forget-it :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  9. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, man. Can you inform to us which version is your vbios?

Seems like I bought the version that won't boot at all. I don't think I can even flash because it involves a chip desoldering, but I'm willing to buy another one if you could confirm about vbios version.

10. Keep Guessing

Keep Guessing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure thing, and sorry to hear yours is playing up. I know it can be a finicky process getting the updated BIOS and card drivers in the correct install order. I dealt with a couple of BSOD on boot issues myself with the trial-and-error of coming up with the correct bios/driver install order, bypassing my win10 driver signature verification, and between single/Optimus mode on the BIOS gpu settings. There's a neat little precision button command to reset GPU defaults if your getting the black boot screen due to driver package issues/Optimus, but for the life of me I can't remember it, without a full-on CMOS reset (in case someone here's got it on memory), and the explorer restart command (less helpful - Win+Ctrl+Shift+B)

I have two T6's, but currently -

It's on the 4712/32gb of ram and EDP + HDMI + VGA hookups, and FHD (from earlier testing). It's currently plugged in with the 204_995_RevA T6 card, and my bios revision currently is A26, with video bios of 27.21.14.6089 pulled from the M5000M DCH 462 driver package via NVcleanstall. (or tested also working with a few other driver packages such as the 980GTX desktop variant/ect, on the 462 drivers. The video bios on the HD4600 - 20.19.15.5063.

It's stock, non-modified, and running the under-clocked M5000M default package settings currently, and what I benchmark tested with for the M6800 results initially.

Also in case it helps:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021