The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Precision - Tesla M6 & Firepro 6100M - Working/updated/switchable graphics

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Keep Guessing, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Vlad Schiller

Vlad Schiller Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! Do I understand correctly that Tesla M6 will not work in any way on an M6700 with an IPS screen connected via eDP? I just purchased a Tesla M6 and I got a black screen when trying to install in my M6700 with eDP. I do not have optimus settings in the Video section in the BIOS, IntelHD 4000 video cards in the device manager too, only the stock K4000M (when it is installed).
    Please help me to understand that Tesla should be sent back to the seller while it is possible.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right, with the IPS system, the Intel GPU cannot be used and output must come from the NVIDIA GPU. And... the Tesla can’t output anything directly, it must go through the Intel GPU. So, in this case you are stuck, Tesla and IPS display cannot be used together.

3. Keep Guessing

Keep Guessing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all, reporting back in (apologies, tied up lately with work, and move to the UK)

I'm happy to report, between 19 driver package files, and multiple reiterations between the maxwell 204 cards, I think I've narrowed down the most stable, best performing drivers setup for the M6 on Precision laptops. DCH, 460 line (as of 1/19/2021). In a nutshell, the DCH drives proved to cause MUCH less issue, however (and admittedly) there were major issues regarding windows 10, and pro edition on driver signature verification. After bypassing that, I'm happy to report back the following, through forceful install of the 460 drivers DCH (2020).

Games tested : (Precision 6800, I7 M4712Q, 32GB ram, Tesla M6)
    Gaming benchmarks min 30fps, and 1080p (basically, fluid game-play throughout)

Witcher 3 = 45=70fps, highest settings
    Borderlands 3 = 55-70fps, highest settings
    Monter Hunter World, Iceboune =highest settings, 43fps-115fps
    City Skylines & all packs, highest settings= 51-91fps
    Batman Arkham City highest settings= 71-133fps
    Fallout 4 highest settings= 48-83fps
    Rebel Galaxy 2 highest settings, = 71-88fps
    No Mans Sky, highest settings, latest update = 46-81fps
    DQB2, highest settings, latest update = 89-181fps
    Skyrim LE highest settings = 49-115fps
    Red Dead Redemption 2, highest settings, = 26-106fps
    Assassin's creed "Black Flag, Origins", highest settings, = 49-201fps

That was all I've been able to test, however : worked through 10+ driver packages substituted between 204 card models, based on same release changes (460, in this case.) The obvious underclocked, safe setting, being the DCH 460 drivers, registered M5000M. However, I had a nice performance increase regarding .inf install changes, and support card set to "GTX980 Desktop", that after 3 hours, didn't prove problematic. (That package is a rather large shader clock increase to 1500). That said, truth is, I've not yet encountered a reasonably newer game, that won't play in full 1080 at minimum, with fluid frame rates (preference here comes into play, I concur @ 30fps, bare min)

Barebones, and far from exhaustible, its the most readily advisable plan to getting the Tesla M6 card working and affluent on the M6600-6800 systems I can relay atm. This is meant as no ill advice, or bad intent, but rather, the most plug and play, user friendly edition, while advised, on this system. It is not intended, that ANY of this forums post, be readily accentuated or advised and incremented upon, without extensive, and readily exhaustible monetary support (otherwise, tinkerer's, have fun!). You were warned :).

"Hello! Do I understand correctly that Tesla M6 will not work in any way on an M6700 with an IPS screen connected via eDP? I just purchased a Tesla M6 and I got a black screen when trying to install in my M6700 with eDP. I do not have optimus settings in the Video section in the BIOS, IntelHD 4000 video cards in the device manager too, only the stock K4000M (when it is installed).
    Please help me to understand that Tesla should be sent back to the seller while it is possible."

Works just fine with the Precision M6700, however : and in point - Aaron 44126 nailed it, through nearly ALL iterations of the Tesla M6, no EDP works. However, and after much testing, EDP will work with the Tesla M6, however the chances of finding that iteration of card release = nearly nil. 204_995_RevB, and 204_1513_A9. These are rare to find on (were released, as similar, in a very few Tesla M6 cards, that offered HDMI/EDP support output). Sufficed to say, on desktop they are also extremely rare, laptops non-existent.

Your options - Streaming, Bluetooth, and expansion port (as Aaron mentioned earlier) which supports the onboard HD4600 drivers. In the case of the Expansion port, don't be surprised if that movies are the only thing it can support on HDMI output, in fast fashion. The reason, as mentioned above, is simply the bottleneck through the onboard GPU, and that it's bypassing the DGPU. The native cards with EDP support, are legendarily rare, and what I'm guessing were a penchant business group request. On laptop, even more so.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Keep Guessing

Reputations:
    Apologies, I've moved from the US to London for the time being, and haven't been as active lately as I'd like. Just a few updates regarding the cards speed =

It has no issues running these titles @ full speed via graphics mode :

1. The Outer Worlds
    2. We Happy Few
    3. Assassins Creed - Odyssey
    4. Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 Remastered
    5. Final Fantasy XV
    6. Monster Hunter Icebourne

as well as previous mentioned titles! A lot of bang for your buck on the card, as they say. These benches ought be good through all of the line changes (although, mines a bit odd, with touchscreen and both hdmi/edp support). Although, be careful in a rush out to buy one, as if your needing HDMI/EDP support, it's quite limited on this card, extremely from what I can tell. (Although, running via stream/cast is pretty normal these days, and will work just fine). I'll be getting settled into the EU (damn you Brexit) for the next hot minute, but will try to hit back on any questions timely. Best wishes.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    OP still claims the m6600 works with this card

6. Keep Guessing

Reputations:
    "Further investigation : Dell M6600

The 6600's work just fine with this setup, although admittedly, not the shortest answer. The answer was writing around the BIOS, basically tricking the system into supporting a written card, vs. the actual one. My 6600, is working without issue, pulling 30fps in ARK (The mother of all bad coding), on the 460 drivers. The edits were required, down to the NVNDMI.inf drivers, but supported it completely thereafter. However, a throwback, WHQL drivers were suspect, and non-viable toward the end. I've now tested my 6600, supporting output to a 1080p monitor, with minimal issue. I will investigate further regarding onboard CPU and DGPU, but as of now, has no issues on my end."

I do want to point out @Reciever , as I know from one of our previous now locked threads, you hardware modded yours. Not a thing wrong with that, but I don't support it here, or on these guides, simply due to fatal component and system damage that can result.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I have no idea what you are talking about, I messed with the M4600 and tried to install a m6100 into it which has literally nothing to do with Tesla M6 and the M6600.

Need evidence, simple screen shot would suffice.

8. Keep Guessing

Reputations:
    Wrong thread I think. Lost!
    This is the Precision M6800 thread, have no idea regarding the M4600 and the Firepro 6100M, as I've never tested them together. This card was working far before I got to it, I just provided a brick-free guide. (Thanks @supermoth ) This is just a follow-up regarding your interest in the M6600 from an earlier thread where you expressed definite BIOS differences and difficulty with installing on the M6600. Since then, I removed the M6600 from the guide list inclusion and thread locked, agreeing that I've only tested with my personal M6600. Now, having tested again, I'm posting those results, and purposely not providing a guide, simply because it's more dangerous for blank screen loops without a ancient VGA monitor, and other bug/glitch possibilities. The original thread is now locked.

I have no screenshots to display regarding this setup, nor have I ever mentioned this setup in any of my posts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  9. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should state it does not works with eDP display/3D display/RGB display because they need a dGPU capable of outputing video, not like the M6.

10. Kemar

Kemar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello are you saying my m6800 is not compatible