The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    See the PDF here. This can be found at the very bottom of this website (see Quadro Product Comparison).

Ah, I missed that out, my bad. Modifying the INF and installing the driver properly fixed that, too. I've generally not had fan control problems on both my copies of the 7530, so I generally can't relate to the fan control woes that other Dell users have. If anything, the fans ramp up a little too slowly, but when they do, they push a lot of air.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok, yes then. I guess maybe there was a period of time during development when the count changed and their promo material wasn't updated. I think that the 1920 number makes more sense, just looking at how it would separate it more from the RTX 4000.

Anyway. It sounds like you have had a totally smooth upgrade then (other than the expected performance gain being wrong due to bad specs). I'd love to be able to upgrade my 7760's GPU at some point (thinking way ahead here :p). Dell, keep the card format the same!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Indeed! And in fact, 30% more performance at the same power seems pretty good, to be honest.

4. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you guys manage to solve the idle power consumption issues ont the 7530? I am currently testing an m15 but I was considering switching to the 7530. On the m15 I can idle at 7.5-8W, doing nothing. However it doesn't seem to be able to reach Package C State 8, the minimum it reaches is PC3, while the single cores manage to go to C7, not more. What is the situation like on the 7530 with the latest bios and drivers? Have you tried disabling the dGPU video outputs in BIOS and see if that helps decrease the idle power usage?

5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    As I've discovered, the biggest issue with the notebook is the fact that the GPU also idles rather than going into deep 0 W-sleep, and this overshadows any power savings that the CPU does, even by reaching low C-states. However, in the short testing that I did (keeping Lightroom open, in Develop mode and minimised), the notebook achieved 12 hours of idle, with nothing else but HWiNFO and Lightroom open.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    So, I spoke to NVIDIA regarding the CUDA core count discrepancy, and it appears the RTX 3000 does indeed have 2304 cores, but Dell might've disabled 384 to bring it down to the RTX 2060 level, which is honestly rather back-handed.

As I type this, I am also speaking to a Dell support officer regarding the matter. Let's see what happens. Might get a new GPU with 2304 cores, might not.

7. Silvery-Corgan

Silvery-Corgan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello @Ionising_Radiation,

I am looking to purchase an NVidia RTX 5000 as an upgrade. What is this DGFF thing and is the below info the only thing needed?

[​IMG]

I see there is this [490-BFDS][490-BFED] / GFCL786 listed. Using any of the combinations, I cannot find anything relevant on Google or Alibaba. Do you know by any chance a website that supplies parts in European Union?

I also searched Dell.com however, I couldn't find anything on the parts alone.

You are the only person I know to have performed such a feat so I'm interested in upgrading my Quadro P5200 to this RTX 5000 on the Precision 7730.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Silvery-Corgan likes this.
  9. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you. I'd still be interested to know what's the lowest Package CState your laptop can reach while completely idle :)

10. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    The WD19 dock still has a fan inside. Doesn't always run, and it's somewhat quiet when running. Out of the blue, it spooled up and made a loud whoosh before going back down.

I don't know what triggers the fan. I am using 3 lower resolution monitors, KB/M, ethernet (FE), headphone audio, and was charging a Nintendo Switch at the time (via the front USB-C port).