The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks for the update! Is that with the rtx3000?

Not sure how the P1 manages to get down to less than 4W with the 8750h on idle (screen on low brightness but on). It goes to package cstate 8 and the cpu freqs are 1.1ghz with 0.7V, iirc

CPU Package Power is 0.8W or less

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yup!
    I'm not sure, either. I'm quite certain that there are further optimisations I can do to drive the power usage down, but honestly, 6 W is great. Under light use it goes up to 8-10 W, and that's still around 9-10 hours of battery life.

Only problem is that I have to remember to fire up Lightroom every time I unplug the laptop. Maybe I can cobble together some sort of script or a scheduled task for this.

3. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="Ionising_Radiation, post: 10939818, member: 605874"Only problem is that I have to remember to fire up Lightroom every time I unplug the laptop. Maybe I can cobble together some sort of script or a scheduled task for this.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see what you come up with.

4. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I returned the m15. If I end up getting the 7530 I will make sure to automate that :)
    Not with Lightroom, maybe coding a small app :)

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was wondering if just allocating a CUDA resource and closing it would do the job. Would really be useful to have a Nsight trace (of your Lightroom duty) to figure out what's going on.

6. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have you tested other Adobe apps other than lightroom? I have licence for Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and Audition. But not lightroom.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Good point.

This behaviour occurs with Illustrator CC (ensure under view, Preview on GPU is enabled, Ctrl + E to toggle between CPU and GPU). Open a new document, minimise, wait a while... power draw drops to 7 W. Also occurs on Photoshop. Open a new document (or some other image), minimise, wait a while... power draw drops to 7 W.

I do say drops, but there is a transient rise in power draw from ~18 W to about 28-30 W for a second or so, and then it drops to around 7-10 W (depending on what else is running—Chrome alone elevates the power draw by about 2 W).

Strange behaviour. I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Some more interesting observations.

I installed NVIDIA Insight Graphics, hoping to capture why Lightroom saved power upon minimisation. With Insight closed, Lightroom opened then minimised, the power draw actually increased to ~30 W. This behaviour went away after uninstalling Insight.

Very strange: the mere presence of a certain program can determine how quickly the battery discharges.

9. Martin Ro

Martin Ro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sometimes the presence means running background tasks that can have a huge impact on power draw.

10. michaeljquinn

michaeljquinn Newbie

Reputations:
    All - have GP107GLM [Quadro P2000 Mobile] and tried to update to latest kernel (ukuu) (currently on 5.00.24.24)
    but all my video settings are no good. What kernel do the P2000 support
    Using the nvidia 390.116 driver is there a more up to date one?

Hibernate/standby basically does not work